Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

??'s -Wheels, Axles, Brakes, and RSC

Yes, another Flux knows very little post.

So when I made my Agile appointment John said no problem on 16" wheels. Now the time is coming to get my wheels and tires together before I head south. But since I made my appointment, all blissfully ignorant and excited, I have read too much and seen all of these axles and brakes and things. Looking at Ujoint axles the other day after seeing some of you guys swapping out and my mind started racing.

Right now the van is stock 2013 3.73 (fine) with the RSC of course.

I am guessing I have an open differential in the rear?? Or does the RSC do something back there for traction??

Agile will take care of the front end here and I am 90% sure that 16" wheels will work fine and they will incorporate my RSC.

Would 16" wheels limit me in the future for brake upgrades?? Or is that not really a concern so much and if I did do an upgrade if it's even possible?

Then the rear axle. Does it have the same RSC stuff on it as the front?? Like if I wanted to upgrade to a new Full Float Limited Slip axle?? Would I end up needing 17" wheels??

So I guess that's the basis here, I need to pull the trigger on wheels and tires and I kind of work on a monthly budget to do so. I have some nice ATX 16" wheels picked out and there are much much better tire choices in 16" as well as everything being less expensive.

Maybe I should quit worrying and just get the 16" wheels??

Sorry for the long post. I am definitely in no man's land here with what I know, maybe just enough to get confused. I wish I had way more automotive knowledge than I do.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

I know nothing about RSC.

But 16" wheels are fine, even if you decide to upgrade to a full floater.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

Advancetrac/RSC is controlled via the ABS module. It is a system that applies brake pressure to individual wheels based on certain criteria. When converting to 4x4, the wheel speed sensors need to have the same number of pulses per revolution as they had in stock form. Doesn't matter much how it is done as long as the tone wheel has the same number of teeth and the ABS sensor is located correctly relative to the tone wheel.

Having said that... Altering the ride height and the center of gravity can have some impact on the effectiveness of the system but none of the 4x4 converters can tell you by how much. There haven't been many issues with RSC vans from an error code perspective but to say the system will work the same in a lifted van as it will stock is simply not true...cuz no one would know unless they redid the math behind the algorithms or proved it out experimentally.

In some cases, the vans handle better and corner flatter with 4x4 than they did as 2wd vans so roll rates and sudden changes in direction won't be as dramatic and the system won't try to nanny you around. Like I said though...no one can say for certain. I just drive conservatively because the van is so big/heavy and isn't meant to corner like a sports car.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you!! I get a knot in my skull trying to figure all this stuff out.

I have felt the RSC once when I took a hard corner while accelerating, kind of felt like the van went dead for a second. But I do agree, I am not whipping around in this thing, it's a beast.

Didn't you upgrade your rear axle to a UJOINT Sterling?? So really you just need to make sure the tone ring and sensor is properly placed and that's it?

Not that I think I need a heavier axle right now, the van weighed 5600 lbs when I got it scaled for CA DMV. I wouldn't mind some Limited Slip on it though, I drive a lot in snow in the mountains.

Again, thanks. I gotta pull the trigger on some Wheels and they are a good deal right now. Every 5 dollars saved is another Finishing Washer on my sill plates.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

My van had Advancetrac/RSC when I bought it but when it is alive again (very soon), it will only have the basic front wheel ABS. I've gutted the van and removed the nanny systems to simplify the integration with the Allison and Cummins.

My sterling doesn't have the individual wheel sensors so it wouldn't work in an RSC van. You'd have to get a newer axle that had the individual wheel sensors out back. It's been done before but a little more complicated than the axles with no sensors.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #6

Ah! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up.

As always, thanks for your help.

I had no idea how much fun messing with cars and trucks could be, otherwise I would have been after it a long time ago.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #7

Garage
Flux, I have an appointment with Agile in the spring and just got off the phone with John (nice guy, isn't he?). Your situation is very similar to mine, so I'll share what I have and know:

-- I'm sticking with my 16 inch wheels because I don't want to have to use a ladder to get into my van. It's my daily driver, as well as an adventure-mobile, so I want to keep it as low as possible. The Agile 4WD conversion will add another 3-4 inches in height, and that's more than plenty for me. The 265/75/16 KO2's I just bought really give the van a nice ride, so I'll stick with them. John indicated the 16's look just great with their kit, unlike taller conversions where 16s may be dwarfed by the height.

-- I just put in MG's 2013 limited slip differential axle and swapped out the stock from my 2014. It was just a bit of added security and I didn't want to go with a rear locker. That done, all Agile will have to do is match the 3.73 for the new front axle, because they usually use 4.10's. So, you'll be getting two of those, most likely. And I'll be getting a brand new 3.73 front gear, because they can't get 3.73's in the Dana 50's. (They can get 3.55's or 4.10's)

-- I'm told the RSC stays the same. Though, as MG pointed out, there may be some effect on it. But, really, compared to the difference there'll be from powered front wheels, any RSC changes would have to feel negligible.

Hope this is helpful. Wish I didn't have to wait so long for my trip to Agile. You have a great time with it. We gonna be rockin!

Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

That helps a lot Otter and thanks! I was gonna put some of these questions to John but I pestered him a lot even before I bought a van, and with all that has gone down in their world I hate to be a constant bother. He always responded quickly and kindly, he's terrific.

I'm going 285 or 295 on the 16's so 33 ish and my goal was a sensible lift, which I think this is. My goal is a well behaved highway cruiser that excels on dirt roads and can handle snow safely. Gonna keep my 3.73's as well for highway cruising. John seemed to think that 3.73's with the V-10 would still be pretty darn quick, the 5 speed doesn't hurt either.

I will check into a limited slip axle, that might be all I need, Might already have it and not know! But my van is pretty basic. I really want to keep my build light, a full float might just be folly for now.

I'm schedule for 12/1 and then it get's real!!! I can't wait.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #9

Garage
John said the 285's look optimal on their kit. I bet they'll look great! Maybe I'll go for that when these wear out.

An easy way to tell if you have limited slip is to look at the label on the driver side post pillar. There's a code there that indicates lsd or not. Here's a link to the 2013 trailer specs where you can match up the code:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...esvan_oct9.pdf

12/1 build! The time will fly. After all, it's already Christmas at Costco.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Thanks for that Otter! I had a pic of my differential tag from when John asked what gearing I had and it simply says 3.73 with no L anywhere. I will check the door code when I get home, thanks. yeah, 385's are what are on my F250 and that's a real nice size tire really. I run BFG K02's and like em a lot. Honestly, I do more highway than anything, but snow comes into play and I need some good wheels

So far I have run into a few bummers in buying a stripped down fleet van, but I gotta keep my chin up. I have a 2013 V10 5 speed with 54k miles on it, no interior to tear out, and some sweet factory speakers!! It did have the rear AC and heater, which is an absolute must around here.

What were your thoughts on sticking with 3.73??