Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #11

Re: Shifting into four wheel drive

I typically don't shift into 4WD while moving. Just an old habit from earlier non-synchro gears on my '69 Bobtail. My thoughts are if there is grinding while things match up you are wearing the gears. I put the truck in Neutral then shift into either 4H or 4L well before necessary so that I don't have to try to match up the gears while hanging precariously off the obstacle. Once the engine is at idle and the transmission in neutral the T-case shift perfectly.

I know this isn't your issue from the first posts since I don't ever shift while moving (so I guess I am no help to your issue) but thought I would share my experiences. And who knows, I may have this issue some day and would like some foresight.

canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Re: Shifting into four wheel drive

Thanks all, for your responses. I'm from the old fashioned camp of shifting into four wheel drive, I had to be stopped. But that also assumed that when I was in a situation that required four wheel drive meant that I was driving at a reasonable speed, and also, planning ahead. But it's just odd that my Atlas TC, which used to allow me to "shift on the fly" no longer gives me that option. But anyone driving a 10,000 lb vehicle into situations where four wheel drive is necessary, shouldn't be driving very fast anyway. Call me old fashioned, or old...It's OK, cause' I'm both.

Tom