Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #1

Skid Plates

I had SMB install two skid plates on my van at build. One for the engine/oil pan/transmission and one for the fuel tank. They were $180 each installed.

I don't have a picture of the fuel tank skid, but here is a picture SMB sent of the other during the build.

For those that notice the difference, the transmission pan is a Mag-Hytec. Unfortunately, after one drive I would have to say that the skid plate seems to have nullified the benefit of the Mag-Hytec transmission pan by reducing the airflow around it. Looks like an additional transmission cooler is in my future...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Re: Skid Plates

The Mag-Hytek pan likely has worse thermal conductivity than stock, due to thickness. Main benefit is capacity. I highly recommend the Tru-cool max cooler if you will be doing any heavy hauling. It fits in the stock location pretty nicely, with some very minor trimming of one of the stock mounts.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. I'll be researching heavily soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I highly recommend the Tru-cool max cooler if you will be doing any heavy hauling. It fits in the stock location pretty nicely, with some very minor trimming of one of the stock mounts.
Anyone find a Tru-Cool Max with 1/2" lines to match the size we have on our transmissions?? Hate to downsize thru the cooler for flow rate.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Team

I'd recommend your first step would be to remove the skid plate (assuming it's just bolted on) and see if that makes a difference in the trans temps. If not, there's likely some other problem going on. If removing it makes a big difference, maybe you could benefit from some strategically place vent holes in the skid plate. Shouldn't be hard to remove, but use an automotive floor jack and an extra pair of hands to steady things.

Herb
Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #6

You may want to consider a transmission cooler anyway and I would recommend one with an electric fan. The reason is these beast really cook the transmission on extended steep climbs at low speeds. Here in the NW we have a lot of steep logging roads and before I installed my cooler it was not unusual for my trans. temp. to be well over 200 degrees after 5-10 minutes of an extended grade. The problem is the vans are very heavy and at slow speed 10-15 mph there is not much air flowing through the cooler without a fan. After installing the cooler I rarely see 200+ trans. temps.

Here is a link to the write up on my installation. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2921&hilit=transmission+coole r&start=60

Cheers
John
Old 06-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #7

I wouldn't worry about 200 degree trans temps. The Torqueshift that most of us have uses synthetic fluid and I wouldn't be concerned until temps get over 250. And I wouldn't worry until it gets over 275.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Quote:
I highly recommend the Tru-cool max cooler if you will be doing any heavy hauling. It fits in the stock location pretty nicely, with some very minor trimming of one of the stock mounts.
Anyone find a Tru-Cool Max with 1/2" lines to match the size we have on our transmissions?? Hate to downsize thru the cooler for flow rate.
Tru-Cool Max 40,000# comes with 1/2" fittings. 4R100 owners have to adapt smaller.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
Quote:
Tru-Cool Max 40,000# comes with 1/2" fittings. 4R100 owners have to adapt smaller.

What about us that have a 4R100, any direct replacement? Thanks carringb

Luke
Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #10

It comes with adapters to fit 3/8" line as well. I did run to NAPA and pick up one 90 degree fitting, so the lines would run in the same area as stock.

I ordered mine with the bypass valve. It turned out to be garbage. Hopefully I can find a better replacement. For now, I just run a grill insert in winter, or the trans temps will never even hit 140F.