Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Quadvan has a door extension also for the slider post 4x4. Theirs will clear the bushwhacker flares also.
Thanks for the pointer. I contacted them but they only sell/install accessories to customers who are also getting the quadvan 4x4 conversion.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Hey everyone,

I've searched high and low on this forum for a definitive answer, so I'm hoping someone can come forward with some helpful info. We just picked up a real gem of a van, but the only "downside" is that it has a sliding door. In terms of our use case the sliding door is not really a detriment, other than potential clearance issues for larger rear tires.

Our plan is to send this van to UJOR and get a 6" lift on 35" tires. I know that MG and Weldtec make slider hinge extenders which should enable clearance for a full size Bushwacker flare. However it seems as though UJOR recommends against running their rear wheel adapters (converts stock 8x6.5" bolt pattern hubs to accept 8x170mm wheels). I know from past experience that econolines in stock form have a noticeably wider track width on the front. I've never lifted or put bigger tires on an E-series, though, so two questions for everyone here:
  1. Anybody running a full width rear axle (or stock axle with spacers/adapters) and a sliding door?
  2. If not, does anybody have any photos of their lifted/4x4 van with stock rear axle width and wider front axle width?

Yes, I realize this is vain, but if I'm going to dump a bunch of $$$ into a toy, I want it to look good!

*Edit* - I guess another reasonable question is this: am I correctly interpreting that Quigley utilizes the stock rear axle, so their vans presumably have narrower track width in the rear?
I'm running a 6" Ujoint DIY kit with spacers, a Semi float dana 60, 285/75r17 Cooper XLTs (4.75" of backspace -6offset), and a slider. I bought one of the Timberline extended hinges and it works well. There is a bit of rub on the tire when the door is open all the way but its not bad. You can't drive with the door open. I dont have flares. If you want to see pictures check out my IG @therenaissancetinker
The Renaissance Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renaissance Tinker View Post
I'm running a 6" Ujoint DIY kit with spacers, a Semi float dana 60, 285/75r17 Cooper XLTs (4.75" of backspace -6offset), and a slider. I bought one of the Timberline extended hinges and it works well. There is a bit of rub on the tire when the door is open all the way but its not bad. You can't drive with the door open. I dont have flares. If you want to see pictures check out my IG @therenaissancetinker
Thanks, that's very helpful! Impressive work on your IG, very fun page to browse.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but but semi-float 60 is the stock rear axle, correct?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks, that's very helpful! Impressive work on your IG, very fun page to browse.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but but semi-float 60 is the stock rear axle, correct?
Yes it is the stock axle for a late model E350 mine is a 10 specifically.

Thanks. I’m actually installing new springs and the Ujoint Airbag kit on the van today. I’ll be posting up some pics of the process this week. Originally I went with the 4” kit but that ended up upgrading to the 6” after a year and a half. I’ve been running around with a 6” front end and 4” rear end for the last 8 months while Atlas got caught up on their backlog.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes it is the stock axle for a late model E350 mine is a 10 specifically.

Thanks. I’m actually installing new springs and the Ujoint Airbag kit on the van today. I’ll be posting up some pics of the process this week. Originally I went with the 4” kit but that ended up upgrading to the 6” after a year and a half. I’ve been running around with a 6” front end and 4” rear end for the last 8 months while Atlas got caught up on their backlog.
Very cool, it seems like 6" is the way to go. I originally wanted to go with 4" but Chris at UJOR talked me into the 6" instead. Seems like raising the rear might get your door to clear completely!

You running the UJOR rear wheel adapters? Sorry for so many questions, seems like the fit is awfully close so I just want to make sure I have as much info as possible before choosing which route I take.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #16

If you're the DIY type...

http://mgmetalworks.com/hinge.pdf
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
If you're the DIY type...

http://mgmetalworks.com/hinge.pdf
I did come across that in my searching... I take it you're not selling these any more?
Old 09-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Very cool, it seems like 6" is the way to go. I originally wanted to go with 4" but Chris at UJOR talked me into the 6" instead. Seems like raising the rear might get your door to clear completely!

You running the UJOR rear wheel adapters? Sorry for so many questions, seems like the fit is awfully close so I just want to make sure I have as much info as possible before choosing which route I take.
I just uploaded the pics of the spring install to IG and included a few of the door and Ujoint wheel spacers for you. FYI The 4 inch kit is kind of crap. My front diff was impacting the engine crossmember on a daily basis. That isn’t a problem specific to Ujoint; all the 4 inch kits have clearance issues.
On 35s the door is absolutely going to touch the the tire when it’s open. Even with a hinge that’s been pushed out to the max. It’s not a big deal for me. I also don’t mind the tires sticking out .5 - .75 inches beyond the wheel arches.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #19

Quote:
I did come across that in my searching... I take it you're not selling these any more?
Honestly, I don't have the time do these any more. I haven't done one in years actually. Timberline vans also offers them for sale besides Weldtec. Quadvan only offered a 2" extension when I first got my van....that's sort of the whole reason I made my own.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Honestly, I don't have the time do these any more. I haven't done one in years actually. Timberline vans also offers them for sale besides Weldtec. Quadvan only offered a 2" extension when I first got my van....that's sort of the whole reason I made my own.
Makes sense. Might be something I try to undertake myself, but not sure I have that much faith in my fab abilities

Quote:
I just uploaded the pics of the spring install to IG and included a few of the door and Ujoint wheel spacers for you. FYI The 4 inch kit is kind of crap. My front diff was impacting the engine crossmember on a daily basis. That isn’t a problem specific to Ujoint; all the 4 inch kits have clearance issues.
On 35s the door is absolutely going to touch the the tire when it’s open. Even with a hinge that’s been pushed out to the max. It’s not a big deal for me. I also don’t mind the tires sticking out .5 - .75 inches beyond the wheel arches.
Awesome, I really appreciate your help. I don't mind the tire rubbing on the door, but I do want to make sure the door will "latch" in the open position. The last thing I want is the slider accidentally closing while my toddler is in the way. I'm leaning towards running wheel adapters and hinge extension, and then massaging the inner surface of the door if needed.

Just in general, I can't begin to express my gratitude for all of the help I've received on the this forum. It's really encouraging and refreshing to see a group of people online who are so friendly and willing to help out one another.