Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #1

Sliding Door w/ Wheel Spacers

Hey everyone,

I've searched high and low on this forum for a definitive answer, so I'm hoping someone can come forward with some helpful info. We just picked up a real gem of a van, but the only "downside" is that it has a sliding door. In terms of our use case the sliding door is not really a detriment, other than potential clearance issues for larger rear tires.

Our plan is to send this van to UJOR and get a 6" lift on 35" tires. I know that MG and Weldtec make slider hinge extenders which should enable clearance for a full size Bushwacker flare. However it seems as though UJOR recommends against running their rear wheel adapters (converts stock 8x6.5" bolt pattern hubs to accept 8x170mm wheels). I know from past experience that econolines in stock form have a noticeably wider track width on the front. I've never lifted or put bigger tires on an E-series, though, so two questions for everyone here:
  1. Anybody running a full width rear axle (or stock axle with spacers/adapters) and a sliding door?
  2. If not, does anybody have any photos of their lifted/4x4 van with stock rear axle width and wider front axle width?

Yes, I realize this is vain, but if I'm going to dump a bunch of $$$ into a toy, I want it to look good!

*Edit* - I guess another reasonable question is this: am I correctly interpreting that Quigley utilizes the stock rear axle, so their vans presumably have narrower track width in the rear?

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #2

*Edit* - I guess another reasonable question is this: am I correctly interpreting that Quigley utilizes the stock rear axle, so their vans presumably have narrower track width in the rear?

This is correct.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:06 PM   #3

Not sure if he makes them anymore but MG Metalworks has an extension for the rear attachment on the slider that takes it out away from the rear tire so it clears. I bought my van used & it has 35" wheels with Bushwacker flairs and the slider just barely clears with MG's extension. You do have to use the Bushwacker flairs made for a van with a sliding door though. The flair is just slightly narrower on the slider side.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Not sure if he makes them anymore but MG Metalworks has an extension for the rear attachment on the slider that takes it out away from the rear tire so it clears. I bought my van used & it has 35" wheels with Bushwacker flairs and the slider just barely clears with MG's extension. You do have to use the Bushwacker flairs made for a van with a sliding door though. The flair is just slightly narrower on the slider side.
Glen, thanks for the input! Do you know if your van has wheel spacers on the rear axle?
Old 09-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
I have a 2007 Quigley. Yes, it utilizes the stock rear axle. But Quigley installed spacers on the rear axle, so that my rear tires track exactly the same as the fronts. The spacers are also adapters, to allow the rear wheels to have the same 8x170 bolt pattern as the front axle.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
I have a 2007 Quigley. Yes, it utilizes the stock rear axle. But Quigley installed spacers on the rear axle, so that my rear tires track exactly the same as the fronts. The spacers are also adapters, to allow the rear wheels to have the same 8x170 bolt pattern as the front axle.
Hmm, interesting. Conflicting info with what 1der is saying a couple posts up. Maybe their practices changed over time. I take it you don't have a sliding door, though.

Also interesting that their website shows 2 different rim widths for front and rear.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovan_mn View Post
Glen, thanks for the input! Do you know if your van has wheel spacers on the rear axle?
Off the top of my head, I don't.... I'll take a look and take a couple of picks for you tomorrow morning.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #8

Garage
Quadvan has a door extension also for the slider post 4x4. Theirs will clear the bushwhacker flares also.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #9

I have a 97 e350 eb with a sliding door. It has a full float drum brake rear axle and 2002 Dana 60 in front.
Approximately 5” of lift I would guess.
Wheel spacers in the back are 1.5” I think.
Bushwacker flares.
285/75r16 tires.

Will pictures of that help?
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
I have a 97 e350 eb with a sliding door. It has a full float drum brake rear axle and 2002 Dana 60 in front.
Approximately 5” of lift I would guess.
Wheel spacers in the back are 1.5” I think.
Bushwacker flares.
285/75r16 tires.

Will pictures of that help?
I'm unfortunately not very well versed in the various rear axle options for these vans. Is the full float the same width as the Dana 60? And it sounds like your door clears the tire completely?

In any case, would love to see photos of your van!