Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #1

Sloppy Steering

Hey folks,

With all the suspension upgrades, my van still tends to wander. In fact, there is a fair amount of play in the steering. So, took a look and did a little search. There is in fact a steering adjustment on the steering box. Its a 5/8 nut around a allen head screw. Adjustments can be accomplished by loosening the nut and making 1/4 turns clockwise until it feels good. Do not over do it our your box will wear out in a hurry. Gonna get after that this weekend. If the sloppy steering still exists, I'll probably go after the tie rod ends (they look good and feel good, but what the heck). If you are real anal, you can do this I suppose: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... m#17057497

Anyone know the part numbers for SMB tie rod ends? Oops. Never mind. The part number is in that awesome parts reference thread: Moog ES194R/L

Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip! I'd love to hear how much of a difference this makes.
-- Geoff
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #3

I have to ask, do you have enough toe-in? Neutral toe or toe-out will cause the vehicle to wander on the road.

And, you may have enough static toe-in, but play in any part of the steering linkages or other suspension parts may cause toe-out when going down the road. Then, changing the parts with play will correct the problem when set to the same static toe-in.

We probably need at least 1/16" dynamic toe-in. More is more stable, but more will cause more tire wear.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Demi,

I don't think you would have overlooked this, but we noticed the steering is considerably sloppy on flat ground when the sway bar is unhooked.....

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #5

Actually, I'm guessing the drag/steering link ends (which are Ford) are probably tired. The Moog rod ends (those big bastards) are probably just fine. Good think as the Moog ones are $50 each.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #6

Well, was doing a myriad of things to the SMB today. Greased up the drag links and tie rods. The drag link ends feel loose. The tie rods ends, not so much. None the less, just ordered all four ends. No point in screwing around.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #7

Rod ends and drag links installed. Easy install. Also adjusted the steering box some. Things definately feel tighter. Still has a slight pull to the right. I have an appointment for the van to get aligned on Monday.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #8

Those MF'rs at Les Schwab!! Scheduled an appointment. There early and van in the shop early. Guy can't get the ball joints loose, so they tell me it will take all day and perhaps I'll want to bring it back some other day or Ill have to wait. I say I'll wait. Not two minutes pass and they try another approach. They tell me its gonna be $90/hr to align my van. See, I got a quote for $154 on Friday when I made the appointment, I call them on their BS and then they claim they just can't get the ball joints loosened. Place is going crazy because of a snowstorm and it seems pretty clear they just don't want to take the time to do the job. Had them button it up and left. Every time, every frick'n time. I hate Les Schwab. Anyway, I need to find some place to do the alignment now. The van is handling much better now that I switched everything out (except the ball joints). Maybe I'll just run with it.

Spoke with the local Tire Factory. They understand the Dana front and ball joints. They are happy to do the work. Appointment in the morning. let's hope this time it goes better than at the evil Les Schwab. I'm still steam'n.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #9

I now know why I got the bum's rush when at Les Schwab a couple days back.. The morons there busted the ball joint bushing on the first ball joint they started on. Then they buttoned it up and send me down the road with excuses. When the remaing part of the bushing gave way as it would have, I would likely have crashed. I'm at a decent shop with it now. I can't believe Les Schwab. What a bunch of aholes! Sorry about the salty language, but as you may have guessed, I'm a little upset. If you're in the West, I can't advise you enough to avoid Les Schwab tire shops.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
I now know why I got the bum's rush when at Les Schwab a couple days back.. The morons there busted the ball joint bushing on the first ball joint they started on. Then they buttoned it up and send me down the road with excuses. When the remaing part of the bushing gave way as it would have, I would likely have crashed. I'm at a decent shop with it now. I can't believe Les Schwab. What a bunch of aholes! Sorry about the salty language, but as you may have guessed, I'm a little upset. If you're in the West, I can't advise you enough to avoid Les Schwab tire shops.
Les Schwab: "It wasn't us, it came in that way, and we assumed you knew about it".

You just know that's what they'd say if you confront them about it.

Herb