Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
SMB 4x4 knuckle issue

This is for question for all you front end experts. When I make a sharp turn, I feel what I think is the knuckles banging. It's not rough but I have never felt this in the steering wheel before. I really notice it in a sharp turn while clinbing over a ridge. Do I have a problem and what is the solution. The van is headed to SMBW 8-12 and I'm wondering what to expect. Thanks
Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #2

First, take a close look at the wheels, tires and various suspension parts. It could be as simple as a wheel weight hitting something.

Look for marks where parts have touched each other. Check both right and left sides. Check the u-joints also.

Failing that, try to reproduce the phenomenon. When you know the circumstances that cause it, you may have a better idea where to look.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Will do...thanks Mike.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #4

Same issue here. Thought I had cured it, but no luck. Mine is noticable when I make a sharp turn under exceleration from a stop (for example, making a right or left from a stop sign). I do not feel it in the steering wheel, however. It sounds like its coming from the front. Sounds can be confusing when they bounce around a cavernous space like a SMB. My front drivetrain is all spec'd and working properly (replaced bearings thinking that was it, broken hubs, etc.). So, what could it be? Although it sounds like the sound is upfront, I'm wondering if its the rear drive shaft. When turning, there are some flex/changes in alignment of the drive train. That flex might be all that is needed to make the issue noticiable (the clicking/clacking sound). Our rear drive shafts were not designed for the angle at which the 4x4 mod operates, in my opinion (the SMB 4x4 mod anyway (don't know anything about the others) -my Altas is to the rear of the trans, via an approx 8" adapter, so my drive shaft is relatively short). I have the new replacement u-joints for the rear (just haven't replaced them yet as need a strong shoulder to pound the old ones out). When I bought my SMB, it came with a failing u-joint, so the rear driveline has been suspect since the get-go for me. I'm considering a custom rear driveshaft from Tom Woods: http://www.customdriveshafts.biz/index.html or Arizona Drive Shafts (although their shipping is slow) http://www.arizonadrivelines.com/

If that doens't cure it, oh well, at least I'll have a bomber driveshaft with 1410 u-joints (like F-250/F-350s) instead of the undersized 1350 u-joints.

Silly question and I guess I should have asked it first, can you get the noise to happen when in 2wd? Mine happens when I'm free wheel'n (thus the rear drive line conclusion).