Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #11

I think I have RUD grip 4x4.
Good for snow, ice.
Not so much for mud off road with rocks etc.. But I never needed chains in such a situation.

Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:39 PM   #12

Having lived in the rocky mountains (Icefields Parkway is typically a skating rink) If I had to do it again I would go with Wildpeak AT3W's Studded as my dedicated winter tire. I currently run KO2's year round and they do an okay job but they don't have a lot of bite in icy conditions. I've moved to the coast since then and still go up and down mountain passes a few times a month in the winter and the K02's are fine but I also carry traction boards with me.

If I spent more time in winter condition I'd opt for a different tires than K02's, just my personal opinion though.

Again personal preference but I've made it a point to not off road or travel on unsealed roads at night, especially when weather isn't great. I typically will find a spot to stop before nightfall to setup camp. It has saved me lots of potential headaches and $$$.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:26 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I am leaning towards carrying chains.

If it's not too much trouble, I would be interested in knowing what model RUD chains you have had experience with.

Thanks in advance.
outdoor lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #14

I forgot to ask. On a 4x4, should the chains go on the front tires or the rear tires.
outdoor lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #15

@outdoor lens
I think we have the RUD grip 4x4
Old 11-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #16

they go on all 4 tires.
all the tires that are turning on their own
Old 11-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #17

Chaining up all 4 tires is overkill on most highways. For starters, I'm not sure MB approves of chains up front. It works great of true 4x4 systems, but typically AWD systems (which the Sprinter is regardless of marketing), you only want to chain up the primary drive axle to avoid overheating the power transfer unit. There may also be clearance issues.

Legally you only need to chain up the primary drive axle when chains are required, plus a trailer axle if you're towing. That said.... chaining up all 4s is pretty nice in freezing rain, if your drivetrain allows for it.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Agree with whats been said. I typically drive the passes around here 4-6 times a month with the odd trip to Wyoming sprinkled in. Most other driving is typical valley winter driving, read wet. I was pleased with how the KO2's did and have been even more pleased with my current General Grabber ATXs as a snow flake rated all rounder. Never considered a dedicated or studded tire for that amount of snow driving.
I just installed a 37" set of those in a studded version on my Gladiator. Back and forth to Streamboat Springs quite a bit. Glad to hear you like them. I run KO2's on the SMB but would like to find a good studdable tire as it is a PIG even in 4wd.
plaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #19

I ran the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 in 265/70-17E on my old Dodge Cummins 4x4 truck. When I get to the point of needing snow tires for my van, I'll be ordering a set of those again. I swear those tires defy the laws of physics. While 4WD helps you go, the tires are what allow you to turn and - most importantly - stop. And how those tires allowed a 6000 lbs. truck to stop on ice/snow covered roads was nothing short of amazing.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #20

I agree that the Bridgestone blizzak is fantastic on snow. We have them on our passenger car, and I don't want anything else in winter. But I don't think they make it in the weight rating for our van. Our do they?

Tags
4x4 conversion, snow tires