Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #11

i have run the toyo MT on my previous truck (f250), and now have them on the current build. they have served me well in driving the 1,000 miles each way from the gulf coast to my place in pagosa springs, co...sometimes in heavy snow, after plowing has stopped for the night.

bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #12

I opted for studded 10 ply 285/75/R16 Cooper Discoverer M+S...So far so good on my frozen snow covered dirt road and local snowy roads....I leave Tuesday for my "skibattical" and am getting pretty stoked!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:36 AM   #13

So, no one has recommended any particular chains at all so far. I'm wondering if I should look for some too. I'm running fresh KO2's on my Transit and hoping it's all I need for winter but I'd love to hear some chain recommendations. I'm on the east side of the U.S. so I don't think they're mandatory anywhere over here but I could be anywhere anytime. It's good to hear I made a good winter choice with KO2's.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #14

For 3 winters now I've been using Thule (Konig) XG-12 Pro chains and I really like them! I've got a RB 2WD rig with Blizzak W965 (non-stud) snow tires. The chains are expensive but they're easier to put on and they self-center nicely. Putting on chains can be a pain because it's usually in the most inclement conditions. I carry a knee pad, magnetic flashlight, mechanix gloves and I keep them coated with silicone.
We drove from northern Michigan to Arizona and back last February (returning through Vail Pass) and had no problems with the Blizzaks. They are fabulous highway tires. I would run them all year except the summer heat would make them unsafe.
Not sure if any of my experience applies to a bigger rig like yours.
Econoliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
We’re back.......
I’ve never needed or used chains and don’t carry them on board, so no comments on them, not to say it wouldn’t be a good addition to have them with on a cross country winter trip.
Tires are another story, I always have those and even keep a spare.....running GY Duratrac’s the last few years with great success, but I’ve got 315’s that have an extra sidewall layer. Best tire I’ve run on the rig, wearing well, great in snow, good highway manners and relatively quiet for a more aggressive A/T. The new BFG A/T looks nice too, lots of folks running those and they are now also stamped with the snowflake.
Never have an issue driving through adverse conditions with my rear LSD.
And if we don’t start getting some real snow around here soon, you won’t have to worry about any of this......

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #16

I will do everything I can to bring some snow from the East.....Will be in Crested butte for Xmas.....
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #17

Link to extensive thread about snow chains:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ins-18691.html

KO2’s 285/70-17’s have worked well on our two six week ski trips. Have not needed chains but I do carry a set of four Peerless Z cable style just in case. imho - no tire without studs or a traction cable/chain will be effective on solid ice.

The z style are easy to put on and take off, no rolling required, store easily and the Z design is smoother while driving. Prices vary quite a bit so shop around.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #18

Thanks Ray, looks like for the price the Z chains are the way to go.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #19

Tirechains.com

I just got a set of ladder style twisted link chains from these guys^, They seem nice enough, they were easy to mount. I got the "two link" medium duty set without vbars, came to 148$ including shipping for one pair. Most truck forums will say these guys are the best to buy chains from.

My tires are nankang mudstars/N889, they have outer edge holes for studs. I don't have studs in mine. They clear snow very easily. I have had pretty good traction with them in this first snow storm we had. That said I would have gotten them studded if I hadn't bought them in the summer.

They are made of street compound so they aren't as soft as regular winter/mud tires. Guys report getting 40k out of them. They have 5/8" deep tread. They aren't loud either, at most just as loud as when a back door doesn't shut all the way, like when it's only on that first latch if you know what I mean.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #20

Have just bought an extra set of rims so that I can run studded for the winter.Unfortunately to get to our house we have a fairly substantial downgrade where the fall line is not user friendly.Have seen many a vehicle down the embankment and in the worst conditions we will continue passed our turn off so that we can turn around and approach our road from the downhill side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3683.jpg  
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote