Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

Snow Tires With Mountain/Snowflake designation

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any 35" snow tires that have the mountain/snowflake designation on them. If not 35" tires how about 33"?

I found one tire that's offered in 35" that has the traction tire symbol and it's the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. I've read really mixed reviews on these tires, mostly Jeep and truck owners and am curious if anyone has used them on their 4x4 van, and if so what do you think of them?

I'm looking for something that will do well on the highway and in the snow primarily. Are there options other than the Goodyears?

Thanks!

Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

In my experience, your criteria can't play well together. Real snow tires use a soft compound for traction, so they will wear quickly on the highway. I know the Bridgestone Blizzaks I used on our Prius lost their effectiveness in a couple years even though there was plently of tread depth remaining.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #3

Re: Snow Tires With Mountain/Snowflake designation

I've had Blizzaks on my car and they are definitely great snow tires. I can see where you're coming from with that, but the main thing for me is finding a tire that has the mountain/snowflake emblem because you need that or chains on certain roads in Oregon. I've been driving in the snow my entire life and I refuse to put chains on my vehicle.

I've also read plenty of reviews on the Goodyears saying that people are getting 50k miles on them.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #4

Garage

I've got the Goodyear Duratracs on my SMB, but they've only been on a short while. No problems this winter but I didn't get out as often as I would have liked so they haven't seen much snow. I've been happy with the way they have handled on dry pavement and they are not too loud on the freeway.

Sorry I can't offer more advise. I think JoeH has Duratracs on his SMB. Maybe he has more experience.

Mike and Kris
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #5

Since you are asking about a 35" tire, it sounds like you have 4x4?

If yes, you don't really need snowflake tire

From ODOT:
Quote:
A four-wheel or all-wheel drive passenger vehicle if all of the following statements are true:

a) It has an unloaded weight of 6,500 pounds or less;
b) It is operated to provide power to both the front and rear wheels;
c) It is carrying chains;
d) It has mud and snow, all-weather radial, or traction tires on all of its wheels;
e) It is not towing another vehicle;
f) It is not being operated in a manner or under conditions that cause the vehicle to lose traction.
Of course, your van is probably more than 6500 pounds but who is going to weigh it? Beside, Ford's published dry weight for an E350 is something like 5500 pounds.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. The GVWR I always saw was over 10,000 lbs requires chains and towing requires chains.

I had a buddy that got pulled over in his 4x4 truck with all-terrain tires and he got a ticket for not having chains!! I also do a good amount of towing snowmobiles in the snow and I know I'm supposed to have chains for that, even though the tow weight of my small trailer is minimal. I figured that if I ever got pulled over, having the snowflake designation would help my cause.

With that being said, I've driven without tires with the snowflake for a long time and haven't had any issues. I guess it would be more for piece of mind, and knowing that the tire was designed with that type of driving in mind.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

Well your van is under 10,000 pounds GVWR. If you are towing, having snow tires won't help you get out of a no-chains ticket and last I heard the fine was $550 (if you have a trailer.... its much less for cars).

I use quick-fit chains on both the van and trailer. I can chain up all 4 tires (rear axle on both) in under 5 minutes so it's only a minor inconvenience. I see OSP regularly patrolling for pickups with trailers and no chains. And if they have a chain-check station setup, you will not be able to drive by.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I use quick-fit chains on both the van and trailer. I can chain up all 4 tires (rear axle on both) in under 5 minutes so it's only a minor inconvenience.
Would you be able to send a link to the chains you use?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #9

Ok, chains on a trailer? I'm guessing only if the trailer has brakes. Otherwise, I wouldn't think there would be a benefit.

Am I right?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I use quick-fit chains on both the van and trailer. I can chain up all 4 tires (rear axle on both) in under 5 minutes so it's only a minor inconvenience.
Would you be able to send a link to the chains you use?
I don't have a link. I just ask for them at the counter at Les Schwab's. Except for my primary set on the van they are the "heavy duty" version.

Here's their install video: