Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #11

Garage
Hey, Steve, thanks for the information and pictures. It looks good. It's also nice to hear additional positive feedback on Timberline.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
Hey, Steve, thanks for the information and pictures. It looks good. It's also nice to hear additional positive feedback on Timberline.
Tim is a 100% solid guy to deal with.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #13

I've seen a few van people do LSD rear and locker front but not sure I get why - I would flip that. Locker rear, LSD front. I have that now on my WJ, had it that way on my FJC, and plan on doing it that way with my van. Rear locker is vastly more useful than a front locker in general conditions. Only time I've needed a front locker is somewhat serious rock crawling where the other option was more throttle and broken parts/body damage.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #14

Go smooth for winter

My van is a little different but maybe the experience is valid. On snow and ice how smooth the engagement of of the traction device can be more important than maximum lock up of the axles. Limited slip has some ‘give’ and latency that can be an advantage on spots of ice and packed snow.
boz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I've seen a few van people do LSD rear and locker front but not sure I get why - I would flip that. Locker rear, LSD front....
That's certainly the way I'd go if I didn't want/afford selectable lockers front and rear. A locked front end will generally increase your turning radius.

Herb
Old 01-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #16

Garage
Thanks for the input regarding rear locker. My rationale is that the rear LSD would provide good traction on slick streets/highways without the push of a locker. The front locker would provide strong pulling power when the rears get stuck on a trail. (Disclaimer: I'm new at this.) I could go locker front/rear, but that just seems overkill.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #17

Or why not lsd/lsd in that case? Depending on the type of LSD you can figure out how many wheels would have to lose traction in order to be fully stuck. You said you're mostly looking at forest service roads and presumably bad/slick conditions, any locker might be overkill. Heck with the locked center diff when you're in 4x4, you may only need a rear limited slip. I would think Tim at Timberline would weigh in too if they're doing the work.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Or why not lsd/lsd in that case? Depending on the type of LSD you can figure out how many wheels would have to lose traction in order to be fully stuck. You said you're mostly looking at forest service roads and presumably bad/slick conditions, any locker might be overkill. Heck with the locked center diff when you're in 4x4, you may only need a rear limited slip. I would think Tim at Timberline would weigh in too if they're doing the work.
I had a great conversation with Tim this morning. I asked about LSD/LSD and he said he's a little nervous about LSD up from because you can't know exactly when it would lock up on you and if it did in certain conditions, it could be dangerous.

He also said, driving in conditions I described (Enchanted Rockies Trail, Mojave Road, Forest Roads, etc), ARB lockers might be overkill and I would likely never need it. So, we settled on LSD (Eaton Detroit TruTrac) on the rear and Eaton electric locker up front.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #19

Cool, glad you got a setup that should work for you.

A front lsd won't really lock up and is only going to be functional when the front axle is engaged, but that's besides the point.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Cool, glad you got a setup that should work for you.

A front lsd won't really lock up and is only going to be functional when the front axle is engaged, but that's besides the point.
Good to know. Thanks!