Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Garage
Spec'ing Timberline 4x4 Setup

I'm talking to Tim and Timberline Vans about my 4x4 conversion.

I'm considering going with Limited Slip in the rear and lockers (ARB?) up front.

My logic is the LSD in the rear will provide decent traction and control in slick conditions and the lockers up front can be used judiciously when I need help in a tight spot.

Wheels will be 17" Method Race Wheels with Bead Grip and 265/70R17 Hankook Dynapro AT tires (I love these tires).

My mission profile will be forest and mountain roads and routes such as the Enchanted Rockies Trail and Mojave Road. No Rubicon or rock crawling. We plan on driving to Alaska and the Pan American Highway.

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff, so what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #2

If the Timberline Conversion has a 4” lift I would recommend 285/70r 17’s or 285/75r 17 for tire size. I think the 265’s would look a little small. I have the same axel setup in my van with the limited slip rear ended and the ARB locker up front and it works well.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot View Post
If the Timberline Conversion has a 4” lift I would recommend 285/70r 17’s or 285/75r 17 for tire size. I think the 265’s would look a little small. I have the same axel setup in my van with the limited slip rear ended and the ARB locker up front and it works well.
Thanks, Bellpilot. Good to know.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

I agree on the tire size. Our van has the same arrangement as far as traction control. Limited slip in the rear and ARB locker in the front. Ours is a fixed top and this has worked well for us.
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSMB View Post
I agree on the tire size. Our van has the same arrangement as far as traction control. Limited slip in the rear and ARB locker in the front. Ours is a fixed top and this has worked well for us.
Thanks for the affirmation, Chris/Bev. I'm feeling good about the setup.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #6

100% concur on the tire size. Otherwise I like where you’re headed. That size should still fit in the stock spare location as well by the way.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
100% concur on the tire size. Otherwise I like where you’re headed. That size should still fit in the stock spare location as well by the way.
With my 2007, a LT285/70R17 Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain WOULD NOT fit in the OEM spare tire location. I had to have a custom bumper/tire carrier built to carry a same-size spare. I still have the OEM spare tire up in the stock location so at least I have two spares. But since I went with the Toyos I haven't had one flat. Those are some tough, heavy, stiff-rubber tires!
Old 12-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #8

Interesting, I guess it depends on the tire. I fit a Goodyear Duratrac and a BFG KO2 in the stock spot on my 05.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #9

Garage
I'll be installing an Aluminess rear bumper with swing-away tire mount, so that won't be an issue.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
I'm talking to Tim and Timberline Vans about my 4x4 conversion.

I'm considering going with Limited Slip in the rear and lockers (ARB?) up front.

My logic is the LSD in the rear will provide decent traction and control in slick conditions and the lockers up front can be used judiciously when I need help in a tight spot.

Wheels will be 17" Method Race Wheels with Bead Grip and 265/70R17 Hankook Dynapro AT tires (I love these tires).

My mission profile will be forest and mountain roads and routes such as the Enchanted Rockies Trail and Mojave Road. No Rubicon or rock crawling. We plan on driving to Alaska and the Pan American Highway.

I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff, so what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Tim/Timberline did the 4x4 conversion on my 2008 E350. He pretty much focuses on 4" lift (I didn't want higher anyway) and I went with 275/70-18 at his recommendation. As far as the brand I wanted to favor on-road ride quality/quiet over off-road capability/rugged good look of say a BFG K02.
I went with Hankook DynaPro AT2. I'm a little under 8000lbs and down to 45 psi on the road. Seems to handle fine, no real increase in temp on my Roybi infared gun. I'm happy with the size choice and would most likely choose the same if doing it again. Strictly from a looks standpoint, from some angles, I wish they were a little bigger but again I doubt seriously if I would actually buy bigger. I'm real happy with the axles that Tim sourced for me...10.5 Sterling in the rear with factory electric locker and factory 4:30 gears (no need for spacers either). Dana 60 front 4:30 open diff.
Don't know about the spare tire area fit. i went with a U-Joint floor locker and rear skid plate. My future water tank will likely take up the remaining space on the skid plate. The remaining space for the tank is approx 30"x 14" x 12"
Attached Thumbnails
Front close up.jpg   front.jpg   IMG_5373.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote