Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #1

Sportsmobile crushes jeep trail video

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I think you will enjoy what I have put together. I got tired of almost every sportsmobile video being dirt roads and maybe one challenge. While pitch is hard to capture on video, I think these two do the rig justice.

Enjoy.

Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: Sportsmobile crushes jeep trail video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum. I think you will enjoy what I have put together. I got tired of almost every sportsmobile video being dirt roads and maybe one challenge. While pitch is hard to capture on video, I think these two do the rig justice.

Enjoy.
Awesome! Enjoyed both, second video is the best.

What cameras were they filmed with? Nice wide angle footages..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

GREAT videos.

Good rig, great driver. Newbie and a beach dweller that I am, I wouldn't begin to know what to do with those rocks, inclines and narrow trails.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

Fantastic! It's so difficult to pull off showing in images/video just how challenging terrain actually is. (I usually fail at that.)

My favorite part is the wheel-cam part (just after the "waiting for a spotter") in the 2nd video where you can see the huge drop-off right next to the wheel.

"Holy sheee-it", as the cameraman said

I don't know if you care, but in the very first part of both videos -- emphasizing the clear burbling stream is the kind of thing that I'd think would make environmentalist-types cringe. (Yes, I know it's just a road with water crossing it, but your average viewer might not understand.)

-- Geoff
Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #5

quote]

Awesome! Enjoyed both, second video is the best.

What cameras were they filmed with? Nice wide angle footages..[/quote]

I actually tried to borrow a standard handheld video cam and all I could get my hands on was this V.I.O. POV camera. Notice how all of the video is fish-eye without zooming, that is POV. However, it came out incredible for the wheel shot. We just strapped the camera to the Nerf Board and had the main unit in the cab. I edited out alot of it because I thought it might be to much for people. In the end, those shots have gotten most of the comments.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailquik
GREAT videos.

Good rig, great driver. Newbie and a beach dweller that I am, I wouldn't begin to know what to do with those rocks, inclines and narrow trails.
Use your gears, go slow, don't let it bounce, and keep those rocks off of the sidewalls. Those items will avoid most problems. I have been slowly stepping up what I do with the rig and continue to be amazed. A number of those moves were for the first time for me. I was intimidated, especially climbing the large orange rock step, but amazed at how easily the rig made it every time. Note that there were several moves that an EB simply could not do; the exit is too steep.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Fantastic! It's so difficult to pull off showing in images/video just how challenging terrain actually is. (I usually fail at that.)

My favorite part is the wheel-cam part (just after the "waiting for a spotter") in the 2nd video where you can see the huge drop-off right next to the wheel.

"Holy sheee-it", as the cameraman said

I don't know if you care, but in the very first part of both videos -- emphasizing the clear burbling stream is the kind of thing that I'd think would make environmentalist-types cringe. (Yes, I know it's just a road with water crossing it, but your average viewer might not understand.)

-- Geoff
I was pretty happy with capturing the terrain too, but the pitch is still missing. Some of that stuff, especially the loose boulder descent, was really steep. Last year there was a brand new quad 50feet down that ravine at that same huge drop-off you mention. Needless to say, it had all of my attention. When that front wheel dropped, my heart skipped.

Regarding the stream, I am fairly environmental. If someone is so militant as to oppose me staying on the road, I cannot help them. I have no tolerance for people creating new scars, but roads like this offer up both fun and incredible access. That road has been used since 1907 and the stream seems to have tolerated it nicely. Personally, I thought audio for that section was the best in the video. I mean, come on, a babbling brook with the rig rolling in and the banjo fading in, that is good stuff! Where is my Oscar?!
Old 08-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
Regarding the stream, I am fairly environmental. If someone is so militant as to oppose me staying on the road, I cannot help them. I have no tolerance for people creating new scars, but roads like this offer up both fun and incredible access. That road has been used since 1907 and the stream seems to have tolerated it nicely. Personally, I thought audio for that section was the best in the video. I mean, come on, a babbling brook with the rig rolling in and the banjo fading in, that is good stuff! Where is my Oscar?!
I'm with you -- it was beautifully done!

Having one foot in each camp myself, I'm just saying what my first impression felt like from the enviro-side of my brain -- before I realized it was just a road with water crossing.

-- Geoff
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #9

Great videos Blizzard! As an environmental scientist that does a lot of abandoned mine cleanup, the stream crossing didn't bother me much. It looked like you were taking it slow and easy on a cobble bottom which is not destructive of the stream.

What did look bad from an erosion control point of view was the amount of water running down the 4WD track in several of the shots. This amount of runoff can contribute a ton of sediment when it eventually reaches a stream. The land management agency (US Forest Service?) could install a few diversion bars to ameliorate that runoff. Better yet a local 4WD club could help them do it and score a few good public relation points.

Thanks for the well-filmed vids.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #10

You better get some Toyos M/Ts for that stuff....

Great video...

Jeff