Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
Thanks. It looks like that's the favorite.
I remember a lot of talk about this specific jack a few years ago here. I had forgotten about it. Just FYI there are several on Ebay right now in the $50 range. Hard to beat that.

Also, I did not have a bottle, or rather any jack on my list but I believe in them. A bottle jack, even a Harbor Freight special, takes up very little space and can be a lifesaver as a recovery tool.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:30 PM   #22

I have found that having more than one jack is super-useful - if I need to raise an axle out of the mud, or simply for safety when I need to crawl under the van to repair something. I carry a high-lift, a Safe Jack hydraulic bottle jack (discussed above), and the little stock Ford screw bottle jack.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage
Ive also been in a situation where a hi-lift and wheel harness was used even though we all had scissor and bottle jacks. CellularSteve (in the picture) had to use his hi-lift when his axle got high centered on a rock. But I agree, I avoid using a hi-lift unless it is a last resort. I carry the wheel lift harness and a base plate.

I do carry a pull-pal but have never used it.
I also have 4 max trax.
A couple jack stands, one which is a hydraulic jack.
A large short multi stage hydraulic jack and a small 4 ton jack.
Synthetic winch rope extension.
a couple snatch blocks
12' chain.
1 10 foot nylon strap and a couple shorter ones.
A heavy duty ratchet strap.
Receiver shackle and a few screw shackles, hooks, hammer locks, and rings.

Gloves and safety glasses.
Standard tools, tire kit, compressor.

Sat phone.
Attached Thumbnails
hi-lift.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I remember a lot of talk about this specific jack a few years ago here. I had forgotten about it. Just FYI there are several on Ebay right now in the $50 range. Hard to beat that.

Having recently researched and purchased a Hummer H1 scissors jack, I would double check that the $50 one comes with the standard set of tools/attachments. Those ones usually don't, though there are plenty of cheap handles on ebay that claim to work with the H1.

This is the cheapest complete H1 jack kit I could find at $89 + $30 shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13351038005...kAAOSwVfVeVcej

--Joe
Old 05-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Having recently researched and purchased a Hummer H1 scissors jack, I would double check that the $50 one comes with the standard set of tools/attachments. Those ones usually don't, though there are plenty of cheap handles on ebay that claim to work with the H1.

This is the cheapest complete H1 jack kit I could find at $89 + $30 shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/13351038005...kAAOSwVfVeVcej

--Joe
Thanks, Joel. Agile Offroad has them, too.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wander View Post
Thanks, Joel. Agile Offroad has them, too.

Just pointing out that's $89 just for the adapter, which is what you will need if you buy a Hummer H1 jack.

They sell the H1 jack + adapter for $339 (but not currently in stock). Their jack is powder coated or painted, but the same as the ebay versions which are also unused by have some patina from years of storage.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Just pointing out that's $89 just for the adapter, which is what you will need if you buy a Hummer H1 jack.

They sell the H1 jack + adapter for $339 (but not currently in stock). Their jack is powder coated or painted, but the same as the ebay versions which are also unused by have some patina from years of storage.
Oh, OK, got it. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #28

I just went through my kit that I pieced together when my van was new. I’ve learned a lot since then and have gotten older and more conservative so I have recently upgraded my gear. Some was likely not necessary but it makes me feel better.

I just swapped out my steel cable for synthetic and added a Factor 55 Flatlink in place of the hook. I consider this more of a convenience swap than a safety upgrade. Synthetic line is easier to deal with.

Other things I picked up:

Bubba Rope 7/8” kinetic strap (maybe a bit light for the van but I also have a Jeep and wanted one rope for both)

Warn 12K snatch block to replace a Smittybuilt

Crosby shackles to replace generic shackles

Added a 52K lb Bubba Rope soft shackle to go along with the 32K lb one I already have.

Bought a Factor 55 Hitchlink to replace my generic hitch D ring recovery point (mainly for weight savings)

Bought two keyed alike safety tested hitch pins to replace a generic pin

Things I had that I kept:

ARB tree savers (2)

ARB Tire Repair kit with a couple of Colby valves added.

Shovel/axe combo

Safejack bottle jack, jack stand kit, jack stabilizer

H1 jack with Agile adapter

Hi-Lift jack with wheel lift accessory and base plate

MaxTrax boards (4)

Inreach device in case all else fails

Items I may pick up:

I’ll likely replace my Viair compressor with a portable ARB twin compressor. I need to share it between 2 vehicles so I need the portable model.

Winch line extension

Factor 55 rope retention pulley

Pullpal for sand recovery

I am another that found out the Safejack wasn’t the best choice for our vans. I got a flat on the highway and the jack was too tall to get under an axle with the tire flat. I had to use the stock Ford jack that I kept in the van. I now also carry an H1 scissor jack that sits much lower. I can use the Safejack once I lift the van a bit if needed.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #29

I got hooked on watching this guy's videos. It's amazing how many vehicles he can recover using just a basic kinetic rope. It also gives some nice ideas for places to visit.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd...NF9WIe_3uCfz9Q
Old 05-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #30

Garage
Thanks rltilley. I’ll check out the YouTube channel. Thanks, too, for the recovery gear list.