Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #11

Garage
Not sure I think making it like a f350 is all that great. My stock 2019 f350 fights a death wobble issue

snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
1. There are more differences between the stock knuckle and the high steer knuckle than just a half inch longer arm. Moving steering arm away from the axle centerline (along with the effects of caster angle) also play a role. Those changes result in much more than just a half inch difference. Obviously you did the math on this when you developed this kit of parts so go ahead quantify what is and what isn't "drastic".

"Steep" relative to what? I happened to have access to a stock 2016 F350 4x4, a stock 2019 F350 4x4 and the CAD models for '07, '13, '17 and '19 Fseries frames/axles/suspension/steering. I've measured the trac bar angle in real life and in CAD and there is no more than a 2 deg difference between a stock Fseries trac bar angle and the angle of the trac bar in my design. Is that considered steep? I don't consider it steep in the context of these conversions. We can agree to disagree on the severity of this...you seem to think it's a huge deal based on how many times you mention it in your posts. It's not a huge deal in my opinion.

I suggested that an easy fix would be to make some steering stops. That's certainly an option but it comes with some trade offs. The first being that you're missing out on some turning radius that was taken away for no good reason. Second, your "fix" is a hodge podge of custom parts rather than off-the-shelf Fseries parts. Not to mention the increased forces the high steer geometry places on the sector shaft.

2. If you turn the steering shaft all the way one way then continue to try to force the sector shaft to turn, by design, the sector shaft has no where to go but up into the box and into the sector shaft cover plate (which is cast aluminum by the way). So anyone who installed your steering parts should at the very least check their steering gear for play and make themselves some steering stops at the knuckle.
Just to clarify, high steer moves the tie rod and drag link up, crossover steering just moves the drag link.

Our fix it kit was no less custom parts than the brackets to make it 4wd. All wearing parts are off the shelf goodies.

It's nice to see that some of our hodge podge fix made it into your incomplete production "kit" that you sell. Your customers will appreciate it. The x-member brace to secure the floppy upper trac bar mount is much needed.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #13

Im just curious as a noob on the forum. Why all this back and forth between Ujoint and MG metalwork? As a consumer currently researching alternatives for my own rig it really does nothing to boost consumer confidence in either product line.

Call me stupid, but if theres a common weak point on the E-series wouldnt everyone be better served if people worked together to find a solution that might eliminate that weak point rather than bashing on each other and their product line?

Shouldnt consumer confidence and satisfaction be job #1? The back and forth only indicates that money is #1 and that consumer confidence in a product line takes a back seat to dollars.

I mean seriously, installing either product requires the cutting up of the x-member on a persons vehicle effectively preventing them from ever returning that vehicle back to OEM condition should they inherit a case of death wobble that cant be resolved or steering box failures every 5000 miles, ect....
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
Im just curious as a noob on the forum. Why all this back and forth between Ujoint and MG metalwork? As a consumer currently researching alternatives for my own rig it really does nothing to boost consumer confidence in either product line.

Call me stupid, but if theres a common weak point on the E-series wouldnt everyone be better served if people worked together to find a solution that might eliminate that weak point rather than bashing on each other and their product line?

Shouldnt consumer confidence and satisfaction be job #1? The back and forth only indicates that money is #1 and that consumer confidence in a product line takes a back seat to dollars.

I mean seriously, installing either product requires the cutting up of the x-member on a persons vehicle effectively preventing them from ever returning that vehicle back to OEM condition should they inherit a case of death wobble that cant be resolved or steering box failures every 5000 miles, ect....
Long story, I don't feel the need to get into it or explain it again. Do your research and make a decision that makes you warm & fuzzy.

Money is not #1 for either of us, we're simply doing what we do and what we feel is best for our customers long term. We just disagree on a few things.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 05-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #15

Well i intended it as more of a rhetorical statement as a whole. But yes, i will continue my research and do what makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Thanks for the reply though, every post is information that helps in the decision making process.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #16

Garage
To provide more information regarding my original post:

I'm planning to add a hydraulic ram to our van to help with the various modifications from a stock 2wd vehicle to a lifted 4wd vehicle with larger tires.
A hydraulic ram may help your steering issues?!?

Here are some links to read:
https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1...sist-steering/
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/th...g-kits.110224/
https://www.xtremediesel.com/psc-sk7...t-steering-kit
Old 05-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #17

I have had the pleasure to have worked with MG, Ujoint and Agile helping me fix an issue my son had with his 4x4 E250 van. All of the companies were very helpful, courteous, knowledgeable and responsive. I would not hesitate having any one of them install or provide kits to convert any van I own.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreng View Post
To provide more information regarding my original post:

I'm planning to add a hydraulic ram to our van to help with the various modifications from a stock 2wd vehicle to a lifted 4wd vehicle with larger tires.
A hydraulic ram may help your steering issues?!?

Here are some links to read:
https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1...sist-steering/
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/th...g-kits.110224/
https://www.xtremediesel.com/psc-sk7...t-steering-kit
I made the mistake of trying a longer drop arm once. Was a nightmare, bumpsteer was multiplied, but the worst part was the steering ratio changed. Meaning if i barely turned the wheel to the right or left i was making a 90 degree turn already. Thats slightly exagerted but you get the point. Then on the freeway if i had to correct for wind or grooves in the road i was constantly over correcting because the steering was to fast and i would have to yank it back. Needless to say the drop arm came back off the next day.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
The x-member brace to secure the floppy upper trac bar mount is much needed.
I'm curious which part you are referring to, do you have a picture? Thank you!
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fork-N-Road View Post
I'm curious which part you are referring to, do you have a picture? Thank you!
This was our version, it braces the back of the upper trac bar mount to the engine x-member to keep it from flexing.

ujointoffroad.com