Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizer Info.

The front end on my 2001 Quigley SMB is pretty loose, a lot of play, and very difficult to keep it going straight on a narrow two lane road. I took it to my local shop, and they threw up their hands. Does anyone have a good recommendation for someone in the Orange County area? I live in Irvine, so close to that would be convenient. I got a name of a shop in San Diego, but that is a bit far for my tastes. I'd rather have someplace that is a bit more manageable location wise.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Front End Work - Shop Recommendation

I know this place is familiar with SMB's, so it should be worth checking out if they're familiar with Quigleys.

Bob's Brake and Alignment
4141 Redondo Beach Blvd Lawndale CA
(310) 370-1475

Herb
Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #3

Glenn's Alignment and Break Service
2135 Canyon Dr. @ Victoria
Costa Mesa, ca 92627
949-631-2888

They fixed my death wobble and Deaver Springs recommended them years back when I was thinking of replacing my front springs in my "before SMB" E250 camper van.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #4

I ended up finding a place closer to my office that checked out the van, they do a lot of work on trucks and heavy duty equipment. He could find nothing wrong with the front end, other than the front wheels were out of alignment, caster was off by three degrees. The only other suggestion he had was to go with a more heavy duty steering stabilizer, and he mentioned these.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.html

Anyone have any success with one of these? Any way to figure out the right application for our 4x4 conversions?
Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

Re: Steering Stabilizer Info.

In my search for a solution for my wandering front end, I found this solution. I ordered the parts today, and will post up with my results, I have high hopes, so hope it delivers. If anyone else does a search, I thought I would point them the right direction for what seems to be a great solution.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10356 ... g-fix.html
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #6

I had my steering box go out at 80000 miles on my Quiggly van. Had it replaced and no more wandering.
Ateam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #7

Pete, I'm looking at the same mod. I'd like to hear how it went.
ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc0720
Pete, I'm looking at the same mod. I'd like to hear how it went.
The mod went great, bolted right up, no issues at all. My van is 4x4, and I am a little concerned that the location of the bracket that bolts to the frame might get hit by one of the steering control arms, but so far, I have driven it about 100 miles, and it hasn't hit. Just haven't gone off road yet to give it a real test.

As far as the wandering, it has significantly reduced that. The steering wheel feels much tighter and more planted for sure. There are a few really tight roads that I haven't driven yet that will be the true test, but I think it is peforming well. With how easy it is to due, and the relative low cost, I think it is a no brainer.

Here are photos of my install. I kept the OE stabilizer on there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20111217-00132.jpg   IMG-20111217-00133.jpg  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

Thanks Pete, I order the parts they should be in tomorrow. Won't be able to get them installed until next week, also want to put on a full set of Bilstein shocks. Does anyone think adding spacers to the rear wheels will help with the tracking? Next is a 2" lift (2-WD) and I sometimes pull a trailer with 2 motorcycles, hope the wandering stops.
ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #10

I have Bilsteins, they didn't do anything to help with the wandering, but a front end alignment did. That and this mod have transformed my van.

Not sure the wheel spacers would do anything.