Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2022, 09:27 PM   #1

Stirrup step recommendation, E350

Looking for recommendations for E350 stirrup steps and where to get them. Do they attach to existing holes or do I have to drill the frame? Thanks

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:04 PM   #2

They are Carr hoop steps.

Available lots of places. You do have to drill but not the frame. If I recall correctly they mount to the pinch weld at the bottom of the body.

https://realtruck.com/c/exterior-acc...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
They are Carr hoop steps.

Available lots of places. You do have to drill but not the frame. If I recall correctly they mount to the pinch weld at the bottom of the body.
Speaking as a former body shop owner drilling new holes in any part of the body is NOT a good idea. Too few take the necessary steps to completely "seal" the hole(s) leaving bare metal that quickly rusts. As such holes would be on the lower pinch weld in any 4 season climate they're quickly rust.

Once the hole is made it needs to have the exposed metal treated with a known high-quality coating, one that would contain an etching agent that catalyzes into a tough film.

Honestly drilling into the frame is better IMHO.

FWIW I always thought the Carr hoops attached to the frame?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Speaking as a former body shop owner drilling new holes in any part of the body is NOT a good idea. Too few take the necessary steps to completely "seal" the hole(s) leaving bare metal that quickly rusts. As such holes would be on the lower pinch weld in any 4 season climate they're quickly rust.

Once the hole is made it needs to have the exposed metal treated with a known high-quality coating, one that would contain an etching agent that catalyzes into a tough film.

Honestly drilling into the frame is better IMHO.

FWIW I always thought the Carr hoops attached to the frame?
True JWA but you are more of a van guy than a camper van guy, even though we're discussing something that really has nothing to do with camper vans.
Camper vans are full of holes. Yes, they need to be properly done.

Many running boards/steps etc. including even Aluminess mount to the pinch weld at the bottom of the body. Yes, it's lousy and I hate them all but that's they way they are made. It makes for a wobbly, janky step but they work ok and tons of people have them. I haven't been close to a van with Carr hoop steps in many years but I could swear they mount to the pinch weld. They are on tons of our vans though, someone here will know.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #5

They're solid and work great. Can do job right and avoid rust problems to a large extent.

Pro tips:

* Get the wider ones - the narrow ones are useful but wider ones give more latitude for getting in, dismounting, etc.

* Practice with a step stool just where you will put your feet to get in and how. Left foot, right foot? Swivel? Measure twice cut once.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

Just for kicks, I have a CARR step available for the side door...not the front doors...available here...

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...oor-30822.html

I have CARR stirrup steps on each door, yes they attached to a rail that extends down below the body panels, and I didn't need to do any drilling when one had to be replaced.

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
@86Scotty When it came to adding running boards or steps I fabricated my own from stock steel & aluminum parts along with B7 hardened steel all-thread rod and associated nuts, washers etc. I designed mine to use nothing but existing factory-created through holes, didn't have to hang anything off the body pinch welds nor drill any additional holes. For testing purposes I have a neighbor who weighs close to 400# so there's high confidence mine are quite solid.

I guess I've seen too much damage from poorly installed steps/running boards over the years going all the way back to when "conversion vans" were rampant, being built by shoddy outfits that sold them as quick as they became available, too many shortcuts taken when they cut or drilled into the finished body.

My perspective is aimed towards those who want to keep their vehicles as rust-free as possible--we all know that's never an easy task.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote