Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Stuck in Utah on way to fl

About 800 miles back on my trip my 06 chev 3500 quigly conversion developed first a low fringing noise accelerating from a stop in 2wd. Later it also developed a clicking noise. All of these ceas after take off. Two days ago on take off, I heard loud metal to metal clanging and the rear wheels skipped and screeched a few times. Stopped for a while in a town, waiting for a mechanic, who later was too busy to check it out. I stopped making any noises but 35 miles down the road it started with grinding and clicking. Had another mechanic look at it and said unjointed were fine and said it was a bad chain in the transfer case and I need a rebuilt case. Heading to cedar city to have six stes check it out. Any thoughts?

kackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Stuck in Utah on way to fl

Unless you are in 4-wheel drive there is no load on the chain - chain connects the front output of the T-case to the main. If it is in 2wd or both shafts are turning at the same speed there would be no chain jump even if it was stretched.

U-joints would be the first guess - need to check them when there is no load on them (axle jacked up off the ground) and look for play and also look for dry rusty powder around the caps.

Next guess would be rear third member - broken tooth on the ring gear or fail bearing (pull the diff cover and inspect) there should be a magnet in the cover or bottom of the housing; see if there are any metal pieces attached to it.

Last would be the T-case and a failed bearing.

You need to find someone who knows what they are doing.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #3

Re: Stuck in Utah on way to fl

Six states should be able to figure it out for you. If the shop you're headed to is anything like the shop in Portland they can fix all of the possible problems. The Portland shop has done a bunch of work for me. They have always treated me well.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote