Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #1

Suspension novice

Hey everybody! Long time listener, first time caller.

The ride: 2006 E350, 6.0L, 4x4 Quigley, 150k, Colorado Camper lopro topper, no interior build out really, 9k pounds. Any future build out will be light/minimal.

The complaint: it rides like a 1 ton truck....I know, I know "It should...." But I don't like it.

The goal: better on road comfort, and remain safe for light off roading. No rock crawling, not running Baja here.

I'd like to do the RIP Kit from Agile, but our budget for that is slow. Should I just wait and save for a year? Or, are there solid upgrades/improvements to have now/along the way?

Are there benefits to custom leafs that could eliminate the lift blocks? 4 corners of new Bilsteins + steering stabilizer?

Thanks SO much in advance for the discussion.

gilp6636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #2

If you're considering buying all new bilsteins, might as well buy the Fox shocks that Agile sells. They will be similar in price. If anything just get the front springs and shocks, then do the rear later.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Save up for the RIP kit, maybe wait on getting new rear leafs till later. The benefit to new rear leafs over the stock leafs is that with the right spring pack, you’ll have the rear end properly supported for the new height and more importantly the current weight and purpose instead of relying on a big lift block under a spring pack designed for a cargo van, not the best ride quality.
You may find that your front end will be raised up a bit with the new coils that are part of the RIP kit, by about 1.5”, so you might need to take that into consideration. You’ll also want to factor in the increased height of the front end before ordering up new rear leaf springs.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
If you're considering buying all new bilsteins, might as well buy the Fox shocks that Agile sells. They will be similar in price. If anything just get the front springs and shocks, then do the rear later.
It looks like the Fox shocks would be nearly twice the price as Bilsteins. I don't feel like our van usage really requires the heat dissipation the alum tube is built for, and if my last set lasted 150k+ I'm not sure the rebuildability is as strong a selling point.

Will the custom valving Agile does make a twice the price difference? I'm not against spending the money, but trying to save myself from over-building.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
You may find that your front end will be raised up a bit with the new coils that are part of the RIP kit, by about 1.5”, so you might need to take that into consideration.
I haven't talked with Agile yet, but if our van is already on a ~6" lift will it go up another 1.5"?
She already doesn't fit in any residential garage or parking garage.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilp6636 View Post
Will the custom valving Agile does make a twice the price difference? I'm not against spending the money, but trying to save myself from over-building.
YES!
The custom van valving makes your ride twice as good as the next best option.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #7

If you’re lifted 6 inches already it doesn’t sound like you have the standard Quigley suspension. Any idea what has been done beyond their work? Some photos may help.

I’ve had Agile do two sets of custom Fox shocks the difference in both van was undoubtedly money well spent. They can also handle the rear leaf pack for you as well.

For the front, changing the coils to the Moog 8800S units is a pretty inexpensive and easy swap but you’ll want to make sure your shocks are long enough. If you’re already up 6 inches they likely are, but again, some pictures would help. Standard Quigley height isn’t quite that much. At least it wasn’t on my 05.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #8

+1 more for Agile custom valved Fox shocks, very noticeable ride improvement and worth the money.

Also, make sure you are comparing Bilstein prices vs. the NON reservoir Fox Shocks. The reservoir shocks cost more and I was told they aren't needed.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #9

Thanks for all the discussion and reviews for Fox and Agile/RIP. I'll probably end up going that way.

As a side note, I was comparing the Bilstein 5100 series (~$80 each) to Agile's valved Fox 2.0 series ($299 per set front/rear).

Tags
e350, quigley, suspension