Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #1

Sway bars on lifted/4x4 vans

When a van is lifted, is the stock sway bar still utilized? Do you end up having to put longer links on it or just adjust the mounts?

I'm considering putting on a rear sway bar (currently have none at all) but am wondering if I order a sway bar for a standard E350 if it will work or require modifications. My application is for the old body style Ford in particular, but I would imagine that the question applies across the board.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

Re: Sway bars on lifted/4x4 vans

It depends on which sway bar and how high your lift is. I have the Hellwig 1.5" bar, and it would work just fine as-is on something with probably 3" more ride height than mine, and mine already sits about 3" higher than stock. On a stock E350 (my dads) it actually hangs kinda low and could benefit from shorter end-links, but it works as-is so I never changed them.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
It depends on which sway bar and how high your lift is. I have the Hellwig 1.5" bar, and it would work just fine as-is on something with probably 3" more ride height than mine, and mine already sits about 3" higher than stock. On a stock E350 (my dads) it actually hangs kinda low and could benefit from shorter end-links, but it works as-is so I never changed them.
Cool - thanks Brian. Have you and your dad been happy with the Hellwig? Are you running a stock sway bar up front, or is that upgraded too?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 AM   #4

Garage

i installed a f350 rear swaybar on mine and it definitely helped. our 46g fuel tank kept me from installing it in the factory location, so i put it on the reverse side and was able to get it installed with only having to drill a few holes in the frame for endlinks. same story as carringb though. being reversed, it ends up sitting with the endlinks being a little low, but still helped out overall, so i havent messed with it yet. once we space down the front one (as recommmended by ramsey), ill cut and shorten the endlinks so that it sits level like its supposed to.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

I am very happy with the sway bar, but if you asked me the day I put them on, I would have said different.

Hellwig makes a good product, but their quality control is lacking. That's actually how I got the 2nd sway bar. They sent two! I called them, and they didn't want to pay for return shipping and suggested I sell it on ebay or recycle it.

Then on intall..... Make sure you have a alternate way to go get new hardware. NOTHING matched. Some stuff was standard, some was metric, coarse vs fine. I think I made 4 trip to NAPA to get matching hardware.

For a stock-height van, I would probably recomend a Roadmaster because it does not hang low like the Helwig. But for a lifted van, that kinda solves that problem. Also, the RoadMaster allows for rear Track bar. I think pairing a track bar with the Hellwig would take some substantial modification of one or both.

I did have to trim the Hellwig brackets (actually, I was busy so the Ford dealer did it) to clear the Firestone airbag mounts. It did fit with the former AirLift airbags though.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

I had hellwig then switched to IPDs, now Roadmasters, front and rear. Beefier than my previous hellwig. Roadmaster has great parts & service support as well.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #7

Rob, are all three options you've tried on the same rig, or different ones? Looks like I have a couple different options. Perhaps I can find something from a salvage yard that will work too.

Also, did you fabricate the links that you have a photo of in your gallery, or did that come with the sway bar?

I've got no track bar to contend with but do have air bags. I'll make sure to keep those in mind when looking at how the different swaybars install - thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

I have the one on the Front from the F550 that the axle came from and have very little roll but do remove a link when going off road. Ujoint offroad kit
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #9

I started with a 2x4 van with stock sway and it was downright dangerous.

Then I went to a Hellwig rear and things improved a lot.

When Salem Kroger did the 4x4 conversion they welded on some attachments, and we went with the IPDs, now Roadmasters. They fab'ed the front drop links (and I still haven't sorted out an easy detaching system), but given the size the links themselves probably are the same as off-the-shelf ones. but they had to fab the brackets the links attach to on the axle. The rears bolted on.

If you call Roadmaster they might have something stock that would almost get you all the way there; they seem to be fabricator-friendly.

Rob