Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2020, 10:50 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
That said.... Ford has confirmed the Transit full-EV for 2022 but we haven't seen any specs yet.
I want one. I became hooked when I installed a 48v electric outboard on my boat. The quiet is stunning. As far as I’m concerned, it’s the future and it’s good.

I will say that recent events gave me pause when some friends got caught at the coast during the wildfires, were detoured to a route without e-charging and got stuck in BFE. I love full EV but it scares the crap out of me that I wouldn’t have any recourse in such a scenario. Thus... hybrids.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #42

I have a V10 4x4 with 4.1 gears and average about 9 mpg. I've found that if I want better mileage then I need to slow down. We did 400 miles within Yellowstone a few years back and the speed limit through most of the park is 45 mph. We averaged nearly 14 mpg when there.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:01 AM   #43

Yep, the Rivian is cool. Well, mostly. Late 1960's Chevy pick ups are cool. It make take me some time.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #44

Garage
Cant wait to see the electric hummer...

"FULLY CHARGED. FULLY ELECTRIC. READY TO BE FULLY REVEALED.
Get ready for the world’s first zero emissions, zero limits supertruck. Come back here at 8pm ET on 10.20.20 to see it and reserve yours† during the world premiere of the revolutionary all-electric GMC HUMMER EV."
**UP TO 1,000 HORSEPOWER†
**UP TO 11,500 LB-FT OF TORQUE†
**0-60 MPH IN 3 SECONDS†

With some that claim it could have a 400 mile range

EDIT: No, not considering purchasing, never liked the Hummer myself...just thought the specs listed were a little "amazing".
Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshoots View Post

As for solar panels to produce electricity, the entire US's electricity demand can be met with solar panels covering the city of San Jose, CA or a small portion of Nevada desert, so it doesn't take much. And a recent large contract for solar energy I was involved in cost less per kWh than natural gas fueled electricity; across much of the US solar and wind power is currently at parity or even less than fossil fueled, so it's cheaper, far safer, and creates way more jobs than the fossil fueled generation.

While making batteries does have an environmental impact, it's far less over time than making gasoline or diesel. I say this from developing large electricity plants, fossil and renewable fueled, as well as large grid battery systems, and from running factory engineering and battery production for Tesla as well as touring the tar sands of Alberta and working with a lot of oil and gas engineers as well as many other experiences. It almost always costs way less to use less fuel than to make more.

When speaking of "costs", it's always good to include the rest of the story.
The vast majority of solar panels & wind turbines (and parts) are Imported;
to the detriment of folks looking for work in the US.

https://energyacuity.com/blog/2019-t...manufacturers/

https://news.energysage.com/best-sol...facturers-usa/

No such thing as free power, unless you're a lobbyist ...

2007 E350 Ford V-10
SMB Transformer Mod

All guts, no glory
seasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #46

Yawn.

Vestas wind turbines are made in Colorado.

USA could be a leader in manufacturing but our policies haven't supported it. Seems like the past few years have been wasted in catching up. I wonder why that is......?

But yeah let's prop up airlines, oil and gas, auto brands and banks instead. That will support green energy right? Lol
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:32 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshoots View Post
...As for solar panels to produce electricity, the entire US's electricity demand can be met with solar panels covering the city of San Jose, CA or a small portion of Nevada desert, so it doesn't take much...

Those stats were interesting to me, so I had to do some research.

Not saying you're right or wrong, but the one site (and yes I only went to one site) had some slightly less optimistic stats.

Starting with some conservative assumptions from a 2013 National Renewable Energy Labs (NREL) report, we know that it takes, on average, 3.4 acres of solar panels to generate a gigawatt hour of electricity over a year. Given the U.S. consumes about 4 petawatt hours of electricity per year, we’d need about 13,600,000 acres or 21,250 square miles of solar panels to meet the total electricity requirements of the United States for a year.

https://www.freeingenergy.com/how-mu...power-the-u-s/

San Jose is about 181 sq-mi according to Google, so there's a significant delta compared to the number provided above, and all of Nevada is a little over 110,000 sq-mi, so we would need almost 1/5 of all of Nevada covered in solar panels to meet the energy demand. Then of course we would need energy storage too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of solar but I think we're a looong way from solar being the preponderant source of our power.

Herb
Old 10-20-2020, 11:48 PM   #48
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Being in Idaho I’m not really sure about what happens in California on the day to day basis, but I’ve heard that rolling blackouts are a thing.
I've gathered red state media are saying we're all sitting in the dark with our water shut off over here, but the reality is a lot more mundane.

Rolling blackouts haven't been a routine thing since Enron stopped engineering shortages to game the electricity market. We had three or four days that had them recently, but they were the first in a decade or more. On the whole my power here in SoCal has been more reliable than it was in southeast Michigan, where summer overloads generally resulted in about one outage a week. (Maybe Detroit Edison was just smart enough to not announce them in advance and black out only the poor parts of town -- better PR that way.)

I wouldn't expect EVs to aggravate the problem much because they usually charge at night. When rolling blackouts happen it's in the late afternoon or early evening when the A/C loads are highest. Personally I have my Volt set to charge after 10 pm, when the power rates get cheap.

PG&E territory in NorCal has had some "public safety power outages" to reduce the odds of their neglected lines sparking fires during wind events, but that's nothing to do with where the power comes from -- they mismanaged their transmission network.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:58 PM   #49
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasmith View Post
The vast majority of solar panels & wind turbines (and parts) are Imported;
to the detriment of folks looking for work in the US.
Is there any reason they couldn't be made here, other than our manufacturing base not liking to adopt new tech?

I'm reminded of the 1980s and US automakers complaining that it was so unfair that people were buying Toyotas. They lobbied for tariffs and import quotas. Building a car on the same quality level as the ones Toyota made didn't seem to occur to them. In the same way we now find ourselves fighting to preserve our coal industry while other countries sell us solar panels.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:59 AM   #50
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Is there any reason they couldn't be made here, other than our manufacturing base not liking to adopt new tech?
As a massive huge over-simplification of that issue there's no economic sense to manufacture here, easier and probably cheaper to import them. The USA could dominate the technology and manufacture if it was profitable enough to do so.

The reasons why could be argued forever but until there's sufficient profit to be had we'll keep buying off-shore.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote