Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Test drive 4x4 in Oregon

I can’t believe that I am thinking about converting my 2002 van to 4x4. It started because user expeditionw asked why I was selling my 4Runner to get a Wrangler instead of converting the van. That go me on going down the research path. So far I have talked to Agile and Quadvan here in Portland. The major difference between the two seems to be that Agile uses an electronic transfer case and Quadvan uses a manual TC.

Do any of you in the Northwest have either an Agile of Quadvan conversion that I can take a look at and test drive?

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
MSD

Garage
Larrie,

There is another option to go with in Oregon. ExpoVans and there coils spring system. https://expovans.com/conversions/e-series/ Think you should give them some serious consideration and I'm sure MG would let you drive his...

Cheers
Mark
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

QuadVan will do electronic t case also

Bigger difference is agile does ifs, almost identical to the old quadvan systems. Since 2005 all quadvans have used the full Superduty solid front axle setup.

I've driven John's personal van and was very impressed with the ride. Definitely smoother than a 2wd.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

You are right that John will do an automatic TC. It adds an additional $2,000 to the base price. The cost of the base conversion is about the same for both vendors.

The Agile conversion will cost me about $1,500 for the flights and the gas down and back.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

Garage
I would stick with Agile or Expovans personally, both those are a better designed 4wd in my opinion. No matter what im sure you would be happy, I have a quigley and wish I had either of those haha.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #6

Garage
Quadvan did my conversion a year ago, and I am very happy with it. You are more than welcome to have a look at my rig and take it for a spin.

There are many considerations when it comes to 4x4 conversions. I had extensive conversations with Agile, MG, Clydesdale, and Quadvan before I made my decision. I think there are good reasons to go with each of these. It comes down to what is the best match for your particular use case. I'm happy to share my checklist with you if it is helpful.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

Larry.....I've been traveling and just got back and saw the post. I'm in NE Portland and have an Agile conversion. You'd be welcome to come and check mine out.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

Thanks Glider and RandallDee. Will send you each a pm.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Garage
Hi Larrie, I have the Agile conversion. You're welcome to come take a look at it here in NE PDX.

The reason I chose Agile was the TTB setup. I was going to go with MG's conversion but, after consulting with him, we both agreed that I would probably be happier with Agile's ability to give me the choice of the minimal lift I wanted (it's 3 inches), whereas his lift was going to be a minimum of about 6 inches. I just didn't want to have to use a ladder to get into the van. I also think the ride is smoother, but that can be pretty subjective.

You've got a good idea to go and see/test drive them all, a great opportunity we have here in the PDX area.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #10

Garage
I’ve had my Quadvan conversion for about 6 years and am happy. In tualatin if you want to drive it. I’d go ttb from agile if I was doing it over or have MG do mine. John is hard to get responses from sometimes.