Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

That's a bit disappointing. I guess you have no choice to go pick up that full float now.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #12

[QUOTE=boywonder;200811]Is there a rubber bung on the backing plate that you can pop off and adjust the star thingy with a screwdriver?QUOTE]

And it's Boywonder for the win. Yes, indeed there is a brake adjuster slot and adjuster wheel. In the beginning, I couldn't see one, but once I got the mirror out, there it was hidden away. A couple quick spins with a brake spoon and the rotor came right off. Thanks for the help Boywonder, not even my factory manual mentioned adjusting the parking brake.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4425.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #13

There sure are some winning customer service stories on the forum lately. Good luck man!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #14

Garage
^^^ no kidding. garbage stories indeed.

artictraveller, are you still down in utah on vacation?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #15

Every axle that I've had worked on that went bad started with a noise in the first few hundred miles. Sometimes leading to a leak. Followed by a story by the shop as to why it will be fine. Ending with a rapid unscheduled disassembly in a few thousand miles on the side of the road.

Every axle/differential/gear change that has gone well was perfect when I drove away from the shop and was flawless for several hundred thousand miles. Or abused it shamelessly and it still was fine for a long time. These good axles seemed to always be worked on by a bearded man in a humble shop that had a lot of framed pictures of race cars and trucks, from the 70's 80's etc, signed with thank yous from the teams.

When I've had axles go bad I have never had any joy going back to the same shop. I recommend you find a bearded man within a reasonable distance to you and be done. Hopefully someone here on the forum can recommend you to someone they have had direct experience with success. From what you described that axle had something wrong with starting at the beginning. And I wouldn't go back.

Just my thoughts
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #16

Dang...

Dynatrac in your future??
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #17

arctictraveller

The Dana 60 does not use a crush sleeve ,
pinion bearing preload is set with shims.

The pinion seal is inexpensive and pretty easy to change .

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...eal-18333.html

Step-By-Step Pinion Seal Replacement - Anti-Ooze
Old 04-13-2017, 12:02 AM   #18

It was a good day today

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
. Sadly, the new service manager refuses to discuss any assistance, and even refused to tell me who he reports to. That's pretty crappy customer service. .............
If there is anything I have learned through out my life, it's that one shouldn't give up too easily. After writing the report above, I decided to try again and called a different number listed for customer service. I explained to the nice woman who answered the phone that I would like to talk to someone who has authority above the service manager. She put me on hold for a bit and came back to tell me the person I needed to talk to was in a meeting but he would call me back, and he did. When he called, he already had a copy of my service reports and asked me to tell him what happened. I told him the story, and explained that I had hit a wall with the service manager who refused to even discuss any help fixing the problem. He apologised profusly and told me they will always try to make the customer happy. He asked me to bring it in so they could fix the problems, and as long as no other shop had been inside, they would not charge me for the repairs. Then he asked me to tell him about my experience with the service manager. I told him my only complaint was his refusal to discuss helping with the repair and refusing to give me the name of his supervisor, otherwise he was quite nice. I suspect there will be some re-training in the near future. So, I'm happy to report that most likely I'll get my differential fixed (again) at no cost, and as soon as I straighten out the brake problems I'll take it in. Being persistant does pay off sometimes..........
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #19

[QUOTE=JackTuppVan The Dana 60 [U]does not [/U]use a crush sleeve ,
pinion bearing preload is set with shims./QUOTE]

That's good to know. The service manager couldn't tell me that even though he had my service records in hand, including the part number for the seal, and I couldn't find that info in the factory service manual. Do you happen to know what the allowable axle end play is, I can't find that either. Thanks..................
Advanced 4wd
Old 04-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #20

Garage
I'm happy to hear your going to be taken care of. I was bummed to see that Randy's was giving someone a hard time as I thought they were supposed to be THE axle place.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote