Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #21

Ah ya, best laid plans... Ok, the Power-lok doesn't work with our semi-floater rear axles (can't get clips on axle ends). So, the shop installed new clutches. If in Portland, I can't express enough how helpful these guys are. The owner just didn't stuff a new clutch pack into the diff, but tried different spacer thicknesses until he was able to set up the clutches as tight as possible without going too tight. Allowed me to watch the whole process and explained everything as he did it. Apportment at 8AM and out by 9:30. Only $225. You just can't beat that. No point in ever doing these myself. Anyway, its Paden Drivetrains in Portland, OR. The grinding noise is gone gone gone. Clutches were the orig ones and were done. All's quiet now. Well, it was until I went to the tire shop and got the 'ol gal some new shoes (Toyo M/T).

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #22
Site Team

My SMB wants you as it's sugar-daddy.

Herb
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #23

The $225 is a deal! Plus you saved a weekend of busted knuckles.
New skins too? Hope you got money left to fuel the beast or you going to tow it with the horses.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #24

Yea, those tires hurt, but they were needed. PO had D rated highway tires on it when I bought it. Had to replace the front two just to get it home from Tex back in Feb/March. Figured I'd wear them out through Fall and upgrade at the latest possible moment. Rears were getting pretty thin and there's frost on the pumkins most mornings now, so it was time. Will have to wait until next month for a Lowrance. Still need to replace the windshield (crack goes all the way across and straight up through my line of vision). Not going to be quite as Baja-Ready has I had hoped for next month's trip, but close.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #25
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
Ok, the Power-lok doesn't work with our semi-floater rear axles (can't get clips on axle ends).

I went to the tire shop and got the 'ol gal some new shoes (Toyo M/T).
So how do you think that power lok compares to the limited slip I got in my dyna trac full floater? I really don't want to go with another ARB locker in the rear (worried about air lines, seals and that crap) even though I've had no troubles with the front yet.

Those tires look great...I'm ready for new tires but muds make so much noise and I hear Toyo's don't last as long as BFG AT's. I need "E" rated tires and figure I can get out the door at about 950.00

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #26

You have a full floater? Really really? Well, Power loks are pretty bomber (physically much larger than the Trak Lok). Not sure what diff you have. Can't remember if you already have a compressor. If not, you might consider an Eaton ELocker. If I need to upgrade some day, that's most likely the route I'll go (however, with $225 clutch changes, it doesn't really pay for me to ever switch out my diff).

Yea, these are my first M/T tires that I've run on the road. When taking off and braking, it reminds me of riding my dirt bike on pavement. However, at speed, not too bad. Hope they wear well. Now with the re-worked springs, new shocks and finally the correct load rated tires, the van feels solid. A far cry from when I first purchased it (felt like a dingy on the high seas).
Old 11-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #27
Site Team

Garage
Well I checked and I'm running the power lok I guess. I asked for limited slip in the rear diff and it's a Dyna Trac axle. Will that Eaton fit or just change the cover? Not too sure if I want to spend the cash for the slight upgrade in preformance. So far the front locker has got me out of most problem areas I have encountered.

I wonder what the difference is in your old suspension compared to mine as my van seems very stable in hard bank turns where you said yours was like a boat in the water. Then again I drive big top heavy vehicles at work...maybe I'm skewed.

Back to the grinding noise, I made another tight turn on a steep grade and got that same U-Joint banging feeling in my front end??? SMB said all was OK but I can't believe it's tires rubbing and feels more like a turn on pavement in four wheel drive. I can spin the front drive line freely so it's not stuck engaged (hubs are free). Any clues? Tires are shot but we could not see any rubbing. I'm kind of worried about back country travel by myself.

I'd like to hear some pros to the Toyo tires. My BFG-AT's didn't last long IMO @ 30K.
DaveB

Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #28

I thought my noise was coming from the front for quite some time. After changing bearings and hubs, the lightbulb came on. It was actually the back. The sounds bounce around the van making it hard to tell where the noise is sometimes.

Old suspension was pulm wore out. Springs were sagging, front spring bushings were "weird" (whatever they meant by that), rear shackle wasn't good, the shocks were shot and the tires were too light duty. Biggest improvement was the springs (re-curved, one added to fronts and two added to rears to level the beast out). Shocks improved things further. Tires were the icing on the cake. Very confident in the suspension now. I used to drive some big rigs, but my van was scary. Passing vehicles on the interstate was very scary (I'm only taking going from right to left back to right lanes).

If you have a Power Lok diff, I wouldn't change it. Those are fantastic. If I had a Power Lok, I'd just get new clutches installed if concerned.

Your noise: Do you feel it in your sterring wheel? If not, then its likely coming from the rear. I never felt the noise (yea, I'm mixing senses) in my wheel, which got me thinking rear. Might also keep a hand on your atlas shifters to see if the vibration materializes there.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage
Yes I'm feelin it in the steering on a hard turn during an uphill climb so I think I need to take Leo @ SMBW for a ride. Maybe it's nothing but feels wierd and I don't need that 2K tow out of the back country. The steering feels a little rough, at least worse than before.
Dave.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #30

Re: rear diff sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
It sounds like the same problem we had about 3-4 years ago...a grinding noise from the rear end when turning from a stop. It was more pronounced if I had been driving on a freeway for a while. (Mike Quigley once told me that some noise from the limited slip is typical, especially when turning after a stop at the bottom of a freeway exit...driving a long way on the freeway apparently lets the oil drain away from the clutch pack and it is therefore "dry" when you make that first turn....at least, that was what I understood him to be saying.)
Thanks for this info, yvrr! I've had this very same problem for years (grinding noise and what feels like rear axle binding when I turn from a stop after driving on the highway) and was just about to make a new forum posting asking for advice on this. Guess I won't worry about it, then. I have the limited slip in my 2004 Ford, and the problem still persists even after recently having my rear diff fluid changed (the oil change place said my fluid had turned to nasty paste).

-- Geoff