Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
That really looks like a great place to travel to. I really want to discover it one day...
It's an amazing place with wilderness to rival Alaska. I look forward to the day you return to continue your travels in the U.S. We should try to get something planned

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #22

The final installment

Just prior to our last camp site we passed a log sorting yard at the end of a bay just South of Pt McNeill.The yard is served by railroad, with dozens of loaded railcars waiting to be unloaded.The railroad was first started in the 20’s and continues to be used today.From the looks of it, despite decades of logging on the island, they will still be at it for many more decades.
After departing Ida lake (our final frozen lakeside camp site) we continued on logging roads, eventually heading towards the highway that would take us to the South end of the island and the ferry to the main land. After our final camp site, Chris still had a few hidden spots to show us.First up was an abandoned mine.The entrance was big enough to drive into, but the shafts didn’t go back into the mountain too far. Despite the fact it couldn’t be seen from the road, judging from the amount of graffiti on the walls, it’s a fairly well known spot.
From there more ice covered roads took us back to the pavement where we went our separate ways. Chris headed towards home and John and I took off to the South end of the island. We stopped for some free WiFi in Campbell River where I thanked John for a great tirp and said good bye. On the way to the ferry a rain storm deluged the roads, and washed off all the mud and salt from the trip.Normally I take a lawn sprinkler and move it around under the van to wash off all the mud and salt, but this time I came home clean despite having driven about 300 miles of muddy roads.It was a great trip, thanks guys.
Finally, a few random notes.
The van got more attention in the time I was in Canada than the entire time I was following the desert races in Southern Calif. People stopped and wanted to chat just about every day, it seems Canadians have a real appreciation for living in the outdoors and recognize the utility of vans capable of taking them to far away places.
Having radio communication is invaluable. John and I had coms on our UHF radios on one of the race frequencys, and Chris and I had coms with the hand held FRS radio I gave him. (I have several to loan out when traveling in a group) This makes keeping track of everyone far easier.FRS and CB radios are adequate, but UHF is far better.I just bought one of the popular Baofeng handhelds and I’m amazed at it’s price (as low as $20 ea) and it’s features.It covers all the FRS channels, the popular ham bands, commercial UHF and VHF bands, marine channels including weather, and even the police and fire bands.It’s super useful at the races as you can listen to all the teams and officials. It even has a built in flash light, strobe and siren. For most all of the channels you need a license but you can listen to any of them.I plan to order a couple more.
That’s it for now, thanks for following our trip. Now it’s time for another adventure………………
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0748.jpg   DSCF0752.jpg   DSCF0757.jpg   DSCF0761.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #23

Garage
I definitely agree about radio comms! And especially the Baofeng. I always carry a few with me on road trips. They're SO much better than FRS or CB.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Bad ass trip report. I'd love to camp on the beach like that.
Let's do it! If I'm around, I'll be happy to show the way, but if you can't go until I"m working in the summer, I know Chris would be happy to do it again, and check out some new places too. If youre in you can easly be on the island in two days.......................
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #25

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Warmer beaches:

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #26

Might have to tag along next time, especially being so close to home. There are so many cool places to visit on the island and even just outside of Vancouver on the mainland...
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
Warmer beaches:

I see no beaches, ;D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #28

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
I see no beaches, ;D
They are looking at it...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 PM   #29

Quote:
I see no beaches, ;D
That's a house in Baja I discovered about 20 years ago, just South Puertocitos. I've camped there many times and it's been abandoned for ever. 20 years ago there was a for sale sign, but the sign just rotted away over the years. It sits atop a hill directly above the ocean. The view is spectacular, and the beach is a five minutre walk down the hill. Many a great night has been spent camping there. Thanks for the memory Ramsey..............
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #30

Quote:
There are so many cool places to visit on the island and even just outside of Vancouver on the mainland...
I'll post an invitation to a mainland trip I want to do when I get back from the Hammers race mid Feb. Perhaps a week or so exploring the back country North of Vancouver BC. I'll have to do some more research though.
Advanced 4wd