Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #51
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Uhmmm Dave, now that your retired, how about a quick trip North? See my new thread in trip reports, "Driving to Alaska".
I'd love to tackle something like that but I have a followup in Jan to a medical issue I just went through. Even the drive to the ferry would be awesome. I suppose you'll need a set of chains for each axle?

So how long are you planning to be there, all spring and summer? I just read a post over on the expo site that you are probable an expert on:
Overland Alaska: The Alaska Marine Highway | Expedition Portal

I don't know if I can afford a long boat ride but I'd like to do the drive one of these days. I guess going into Canada with a hand gun is not allowed?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I guess going into Canada with a hand gun is not allowed?
Sure you can . However when Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) finds an undeclared weapon at the border, you will be arrested and charged with smuggling a prohibited weapon into Canada. Which makes you inadmissible to Canada except for your court date.

In all seriousness most hand guns are not allowed. Here are a couple links that should answer all your questions. Hunting rifles (up to 3) are allowed, you just need to follow certain requirements.

Cheers

Bringing a Firearm into Canada – ezbordercrossing.com

Import and Export a Firearm or Weapon into Canada
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #53

[QUOTE=daveb;188962] I just read a post over on the expo site that you are probable an expert on:
Overland Alaska: The Alaska Marine Highway | Expedition PortalQUOTE]

I dont know if I'm an expert or not, but I will say that I can identify the exact spot about 95% of the photos were taken at, right down to where the tug boat sank. The ferry system is a great way to travel. 20 years ago I would ride my motorcycle back and forth to Alaska every summer, and one year I decided to take the ferry back to Wa. It was that ride that exposed me to the beauty of the Inside Passage, and it lit a fire in me to bring my boat North. It was about 4 years later that I finally made my first passage from Calif to Alaska on my sailboat, and for the most part, once I got to Juneau, I never left. A lot of that had to do with the fact that I met Mrs A/T in Juneau, and we have been happily married ever since.

Currently I expect to continue working in Alaska for at least another couple years...........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #54

Lots of great info between this and the Expedition Portal AMHS article! Love reading the logistical tidbits. I drove to Kluane region via the Cassiar Highway quite a while ago and always wanted to go back... Tho there has been quite a bit of energy development in the exact areas I wanted to return to. Of course I was driving my VW rabbit so quite a bit different fuel efficiency. But that would make an awesome loop Cassiar/AMHS.

What are the best months to take the AMH trip? Back then, we were told to drive Cassiar late March after annual grading but just before spring thaw/mud season (i say mud season like that's a bad thing right?)
Old 11-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
What are the best months to take the AMH trip? Back then, we were told to drive Cassiar late March after annual grading but just before spring thaw/mud season (i say mud season like that's a bad thing right?)
June, July and August normally have the best weather. As for the Casiar, I believe most of the road is paved now, but I'm way more afraid of mosquitos than mud. The Cassiar is one of my favorite roads but one time I was riding my motorcycle South and decided to ride all night to catch the ferry in the morning. Eventually though it was just too dangerous to ride the speed needed to get there in time, so I decided to pull over at the next side road and lay out my sleeping bag on level ground. A couple hours later I woke to a loud buzzing sound and thought the mosquitos must be pretty big, but then I realized I was sleeping in the middle of a gravel landing strip and a plane wanted to land. I got the hell out of there pretty quickly.

Highway 37 Driving Tips - Province of British Columbia
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-10-2018, 07:06 PM   #56

An old thread, but a new adventure planned

I'm headed back to Vancouver Island for another epic adventure. At this point, Chris (our tour guide on the first trip) has agreed to show us around some new places on the North end of the island, but for sure we will also be camping at Side Bay which is quite near Cape Scott. The dates are not firm yet, but probably mid Feb, after King of the Hammers. Anyone care to join us?
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #57

This is going to be another fun trip We should meet up in Courtenay/Comox this time and run gravel to the north island. Be great to have some others to tag along.
chriswh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #58

Nice trip!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #59

Ok, We have set a semi official start date for the 2018 Vancouver Island / Cape Scott trip. As of this moment, I'll be on the ferry to the island the morning of the 13th of Feb. We intend to meet in Comox the evening of Feb 13th, with a departure North on the morning of the 14th. Chriswh86 has a route in mind, running logging roads as much as possible. He has a passion for exploring the island and always finds the most amazing places to camp and sites to explore. Think beaches, mountains and lakes.The trip length is open, but it will take a couple days to get to the North end of the island, weather allowing. With record amounts of rain, snow and wind a few days ago, it will be epic exploring with the possibility of some road clearing and a few impassable ones. For sure, I'll be bringing my new chain saw and a shovel. So far, the original three of us are pretty well committed with a couple more folks still on the fence. With the exception of a few loggers or perhaps hunters, we should see very few people once we get off the pavement, but will have easy access to the main highway for anyone who needs to depart for home. Any well maintained 4wd will have no problems, 2wd will probably do 95% of the roads, and any difficult sections can be easly bypassed by the less adventurous / equipped folks. There's room for more if your interested.
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #60

I'd be all over this, timing just isn't right. Both the high top and the Bigfoot have no interior at the moment. Looking forward to the trip report!
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote