Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2022, 02:35 PM   #1

tire

--Sorry about the title I tried to edit it and cannot--

Tire upgrade options for 2000 Ford E350 Quigley:

I currently have 285/75 r16's 8 bolt and was wondering what rim and tires I could go up to? That combo is currently 32.8" in diameter and 11.2" wide.

I recently put 17X9 HELO HE878 wheels on my suburban (has a 4.5" lift) with 305/70R17's. They rubbed a little but I made a couple cuts and it is fine. That combo is 33.8" in Diameter and 12" wide, and I like the look of them.

In general I'm trying to get in the 34" range.

Any advice on wheel and tires to give me a little boost and slightly more offroad look? Should I just save the money and keep the 16's? or go bigger than r17?

thanks,
Cliff

meecect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:21 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
16” is fine if you’ve already got em, plus gives you a bit more sidewall to air down off road. Lots of us have fit 315’s on Quigley’s, but you might have to do some modifications to avoid rub, sneaking the axle forward with adjustable or longer fixed length torque arms or trimming.
Lots of threads on tire recommendations, use the search feature, but a good A/T tire will give you what you’re looking for in looks and performance, also depends on needs and what you want out of it and where you live and driving conditions, some are better and rated for all season or snow.
Look at BFG A/T, Nitto, Cooper, GY Duratrac, Toyo….
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:30 AM   #3

Garage
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W also has a good reputation.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #4

Garage
meecect, When you figure the 'max' diameter you're comfortable with, this chart may prove convenient to help locate options (lot of subtle differences you may find you're able to work with) - use the tabs across the top of the chart to select rim size:
https://tiresize.com/chart/
Old 07-23-2022, 01:37 PM   #5

Thanks all for the great advice.

Yes, I use https://tiresize.com/calculator/ for the width and wheel choices already, and it is a really great resource.

So, ref, when you say 315's do you mean 315/75r16's? checking those on tiresize.com and those look great. They end up being 34.6" compared to my existing 32.8

So do you think I would need to modify something to run those?

I just replaced the control arms and I'm not sure I want to screw around with moving axles and such. I don't care if I need to trim a valence or bend a little sheet metal out of the way though.

If I did 295/75r16, they come out to 33.4, not noticeably different than what i have. It seems like 305's are somewhat rare .
Old 07-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #6

On a quigley of your vintage, As long as you keep the wheel offset at 0 with a 8.5” or less width rim you can get 33” to fit without trimming any metal (just plastic bumper override if you have one). 285 width will be fine, But with 295 width or more you will have rubbing on the control arms and will need to limit the steering. (easy by drilling and tapping the stops). If you run 34” tire or more you will be trimming the back part of the fenders. Again quite easy, but this gets into bodywork (unless you can hide it with flares). You can get up to 35” to fit with trimming the fenders, any more and you’ll be moving the axle forward, as there is only so much you can trim the fenders.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:00 AM   #7

just bought these...will see how it goes:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

315/75/r16

thanks all for the advice, you have been great.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:49 PM   #8

Ingot em on yesterday. They do rub just a little, in rear outside edge of front fenders. Any advice for process of trimming in that area? I have a lifted suburban with oversize tires and did something called a ‘norcal’ mod. I wonder if something like that exists. I do have flares too but i havent put them on yet. Im sure they will help hide my butchery
Old 07-29-2022, 08:14 PM   #9

You will need to modify the fender and the pinch weld on the inner fender to clear the size tire you have. Pinch weld is easy, just bend it over / flush. If you pull the fender off, you will see there is a brace on the inside. that will need to be modified, then you can tackle the actual fender part that’s seen. I folded the brace over to give clearance but still keep it intact (other have removed the brace). Then standard clearance however you want. I cut horizontal slits, bent the fender over in pieces then welded it back. Other option is cut a triangle out and push the arch back then weld. Normal “rolling” of the fender will not give you enough clearance.
I just googled NorCal mod and To do this correctly it looks like a little more work, as you will need to actually reshape the curve of the fender.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote