Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #31

I've never used chains on a 4WD or the van, but for about 10 years I did chains about every winter weekend on my 2WD pickup. Chain-chains get better grip, but don't last nearly as long if you have to use them on paved surfaces for stretches.

Cable chains, ESPECIALLY the ones with the stiff blue loop that goes on the inside of the tire, are super super easy to put on and take off. I could stop my truck, put on two chains, drive a few feet, get out again and tighten, and be back driving in literally 5 min. They do not have the same grip by any measure, but they do wear much much longer, and while you're not supposed to, you can go much faster on paved stretches with them.

So it really depends upon what you want them for...

Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #32

We carry a set of 4 of these: http://www.tirechain.com/square_alloy_cross_chain.htm

With the 37" MTs and lockers we have had no need for them until this winter. We did finally get to use them however, when taking a "short-cut" in late December.

The snow was about 3' deep, it was compacting under the tires till the tops of the axles were about even with the top of the snow (so pushing a bit). Down-hill was ok, but after deciding prudence dictated turning back, we required the chains to get back uphill.

They went on easily enough, tightened with cams and bungies. As straight ladder chains, they did not provide any lateral stability (we were on the side of a hill, and the side slipping required unlocking the lockers at times). But they helped tremendously with the forward going.

No pics from where we turned around (other things on the mind), but about 1/2 mile later where the snowpack was much thinner:

Anyway, they were useless (unused) for 2 years, but oh-so-very valuable when finally needed.

-Erik
Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #33

Re: Tire Chains

I have had the Ruds , Pewags and the Campbell chains and I would choose the Ruds hands down if for no other reason than ease of installation . the Pewag's are similar with regard to install but are not as aggressive on slippery or deep muddy trails . The old style Campbells and their
all chain construction work well enough when they are installed but their installation and tensioning has always been of concern to me , and a determent to ones health as well as the body of your vehicle when one comes loose .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote