Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
Tire Chains

Well, I'm down to my last decision, at least on what to get from SMB. What are the opinions of tire chains? How are the Pewag chains that SMB west offers? The 4x4 Grip chains RUD makes seem to have high ratings. Are the Pewags that SMB carries as easy to get on? I probably wouldn't worry about it now but I'd like to be adventurous on my drive back home from Fresno.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #2

At what point do you need chains on top of 4x4 and lockers?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Site Team

I've seen the RUD chains installed a few times. Much. much easier to install, and very compact compared to typical chains (e.g. Pewag). I see RUD chains selling for just under $200 for 4 sets of chains.

Herb
Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM   #4

Jage -

I'm not sure where that point is exactly but, judging by history, I bet I can and will find it.

At this point I'm "only" putting all-terrain tires on the van. I'm not nearly as confident in how they'll do in the snow as a set of of the mud-terrains would do. We'll be spending a fair bit of time in the mountains when we finally get this thing. Especially when I have the kids with me I want to be damn sure I can get back. It's a Dad thing -- i.e. Mom will kick my butt if I don't.

Herb -

In looking at the Pewag web site they offer something similar to the RUDs. I don't know if they go on as easy or work as well, and I'm not sure if that model is what SMB carries.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #5

Jage,
You will know when you need chains on top of 4WD. It will be about 10 minutes before you realize you should have stayed home!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #6

In CA, You will need chains when you hit the CHP roadblock in the middle of a driving snowstorm. CA law requires all vehicles to carry chains in snow/ice road conditions. Even if you have 4x4 with snow tires, you legally also need to carry chains. Last year a CHP officer made me show him my chains before he'd let me pass in the SMB. Didn't have to put them on, just had to prove they were there.
R
Old 10-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velogeo
Herb -

In looking at the Pewag web site they offer something similar to the RUDs. I don't know if they go on as easy or work as well, and I'm not sure if that model is what SMB carries.
I have a set of big, bulky chains that came with my used SMB. I have to admit that I only assumed they were the Pewag chains that SMB sells. I have seen new chains in a bag up at SMB West, and based upon the size and shape of the bag, I think they are the full link type of chains, not a cable type of chain. Maybe SMB West has more than one option?

Herb
Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #8

As a long-time 2WD + chains snow driver, the CHP does have a point. 4WD = 0WD if you start to skid and the ABS doesn't seem to help much on ice, whereas with 2WD+chains, you start to skid and the ABS + chains really does a fantastic job at stopping you (while you watch with clenched teeth as 4WD SUVs, thinking they were invincible, go past you into the ditch). So, for really icy conditions, I'll probably put on chains for when, not if, the van loses traction at speed.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
BC

dont even bother with anything less than the RUD Grip 4X4's. They are sweet; quick and easy on/off and have a plastic steel cable to help locate the cross bar links. I dont know what SMB is selling them for, but you should be able to find them for less than $200 for two sets (4tires) online.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #10

You can get the RUDs from Bill Burke's web site http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/Chains.htm for a little less than $200 for all 4, not including shipping. He really recomends them in his videos. I've been boning up. It's been almost 15 years since I've gotten to go down anything rougher than a gravel road.

The only real reason I'd consider the Pewags is because I don't want to carry tire chains in my luggage. I'd hate to think what the TSA would think of that.

Thanks for the replies.