Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Tire deflator kit/tool and inflator gun with gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I'd like a set for sand also.
I know some people who set two deflators for one pressure, and the other two fdeflators or a different pressure. Not as fast as having two complete sets for two different environments, but it's doable. Just remember to mark them so you know which is which.

Herb

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
This place had the best prices
http://4x4groupbuy.com/
I just bought 15-55s on eBay; the seller was 4x4groupbuy but the price was better through eBay.

I think it's only been 13 or 14 years now I've been saying "I need to get a set of these"!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

Tire deflator kit/tool and inflator gun with gauge

This just in
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364331464.321947.jpg  
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #14

Re: Tire Deflation & Inflation Guidelines

QUESTION ABOUT HOW MUCH TO AIR DOWN:
I am preparing for lots of rough, washboard gravel roads in Canada this summer and Alaska next(?) with my 2 wheel drive 10k lbs van. I bought the Staun II deflators, but not sure what pressure to air down to. I experimented on one road coming out of Death Valley last year where I knew there was a gas station at the end and tried 50%, i.e. from 60 front, 80 rear to 30 front, 40 rear for gravel roads and liked the ride and reasonable stablity, but it seems that others air down more. I have over-size E rated tires (Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grand LT265x75R16E1) on original steel wheels. Is there an ideal pressure for such roads? Would I be protecting the tires more by going lower?

TECHNIQUE FOR AIRING DOWN USING THE STAUN II'S:
In setting up the Staun's with two set at 30 psi (fronts) and the other two at 40 psi (rears) using the higher pressure springs (red ones), I noticed two things. First, as long as you remember that more threads showing mean lower pressure, I can easily tell the fronts from the backs without color coding or marking them in any way. Secondly, I noticed that if I pull the tabs a second time after they appear to have set themselves to the proper pressure they sometimes loose a bit more air before stopping again. That second pull seems to be enough and ends up more accurately airing down to the desired pressure.

TECHNIQUE FOR AIRING UP USING ARB COMPRESSOR AND INFLATOR:
For inflation I have an ARB CKMTA12 dual compressor and 1 gal ARB aluminum tank squeezed into the battery cabinet described elsewhere on this forum and an ARB inflator/gauge. One tweak I made compared to others in this thread is that I swapped out the short braided hose with clip-type air chuck on the inflator with a longer hose and a lock-on clip-less chuck that operates similarly to a standard compression hose coupling, except it is designed for schrader valves. The ARB clip-type chuck works well enough, but I never liked that type of design. And with the longer hose I can be upright on my feet for the whole operation to save my knees and stay clean. The hose has a 1/8" MNPT fitting on one end, 1/4" MNPT on the other and the adapter is an M10/ by 1.0 pitch metric male to 1/8" NPT female adapter obtained from Fittings Inc. in Seattle, an amazing brick and mortar store that can put together just about any combo of components for air systems. If I did it over again, the new hose would be 3' instead of 2'.

Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
One tweak I made compared to others in this thread is that I swapped out the short braided hose with clip-type air chuck on the inflator with a longer hose and a lock-on clip-less chuck that operates similarly to a standard compression hose coupling, except it is designed for schrader valves.
What was your source for that new hose?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Quote:
What was your source for that new hose?
The hose with fittings on both ends was fabricated by Fittings, Inc, who also supplied the metric to NPT adapter. The "open type" clip-less chuck came from MSC Industrial Supply Co. (mscdirect.com). The open type of chuck allows the pressure gauge to register the tire pressure when the chuck is slipped on, just like the original ARB chuck or most other tire inflator devices.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #17

I decided to get a new inflator to replace my old trusty unit, and found that it reads different pressure depending on whether I just added or removed a puff of air -- a difference of 1.5 PSI. Which is correct? I decided to do a comparison of all my inflators (including the ARB mentioned above), a couple of pen-style air gauges, and a bicycle air pump.

The air pressure measurement differences I found were surprising. Here's what I found testing my spare tire:
  • old inflator: 45 PSI
  • new inflator: 48 PSI
  • ARB inflator: 44.5 PSI
  • pen gauge 1: 46.5 PSI
  • pen gauge 2: 40 PSI (!)
  • bike pump: 44 PSI
Measurements were all over the place! I need to find a more trusted gauge to figure out what is correct.

-- Geoff