Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitoring System????

Was wondering,,,, how many ppl on here don't use a tire pressure monitoring system?

I have a Quigley (with the Ford factory tire pressure monitoring system), and about to get some new tires/wheels, however, not sure on if I should get another system placed in the new rims. Also, I believe, I'll be running lower pressure that come standard (65 PSI, I think) when I picked up the van. Not sure what pressure the low tire pressure comes on with the factory settings. Is there a way to adjust the ford system.

I've done a little searching on here for threads already on this, however, still haven't found the right answers I was looking for.

Do some ppl drive without this system, and just leave the low pressure light on all the time????

blkhalo996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #2

Re: Tire Pressure Monitoring System????

I have a Quigley with 265/70/17 tires. My van weighs less than 8,000 pounds, so factory tire pressure bounces me off the road. I usually run 55 psi and my warning light is on all the time. I asked the dealer and they said put some black tape over the light. Thanks a lot. If I pump them up to 65 or 70, the light goes out, but the ride is much better at the lower pressure. It all depends on how much your van weighs and the max rating on your tires. There are several good posts here on tire pressure, but in general, if your load is say 2,000 pounds per wheel and the tires are rated at 3,000 pounds at say 90 psi, you can probably run 2/3 max pressure, or 60 psi. check other sources, but that seems to be the general agreement.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #3

I completely removed the optional Hella System that I paid dearly for because of continual inconsistent behavior , we found that it would even acknowledge other vehicles sensors when along side of the Van ! I have always been a stickler for weekly pressure checks and 3,000 mile rotations on all of my vehicles when at all possible .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

Like Greggd said... I got so mad at mine, I ripped it out of the ceiling and threw it out the window- literally. I'm SO much happier now. This happened about a month after I bought the van. I tried about twenty times to calibrate the #*^#!%&@! thing before it finally took flight.
Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

What took you so long Bill ? actually fussed with mine for a couple of months before removal .Greggd
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

It took me a month because I'm such a patient, thoughtful, type B sort of guy that I gave the vile thing the benefit of the doubt for about 29 days longer than the wretched POS deserved.
Bill
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Yep, not too happy with my brand spanking new Hella tpms either. I hear Hella actually stopped making the system a year ago. Wish I had done my homework before ordering it on my now 2 month old SMB. Looking at Schrader for a replacement. Has anyone out there used Schrader?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

Just found this great device for monitoring tire pressure. Cheap, dependable and tested by experts. I use it myself and it has never failed me.

http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-Tire ... B000COS8FI

I highly recommend it....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #9

Yeah, but maybe get one that goes over 60 psi...
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

You can purchase Moroso's Model # 89570 that will give you I believe readings to 100psi , or my favorite for home use is the Accutire Model #MS5515 is has an LED light and is Digital but battery operated and not desirable for me when boon docking . Tire manufactures say that for every 10 degrees of ambient temperature you will increase your inflated pressures by 1 psi and that some tires are capable of loosing upto 2 psi a week while parked so a reliable gauge is cheap insurance . As I mentioned in an earlier post I check my tire pressures at least once a week and rotate at as close I can get to 3,000 miles , this may seem like overkill but I get better life out of my tire's .
Greggd