Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #21

You won’t go wrong with the Falken Wildpeaks. I will also add, tires that do really well in snow, also collect pebbles more than the norm.

macsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
These vans vary greatly when comparing the vehicle weight...don't know how extensive a build you have, or if you have ever weighed your rig. If not, I suggest you do this to get an idea of what you're dealing with since it can impact your choices. Chances are you are fine, but...
I'm guessing most of the tires you've mentioned have a load rating in the neighborhood of 3,100lbs. This may work well for you, but I have a Van (as several others here do as well) which weighs in at a little over 11,500lbs so I have to be cautious with my selection (that 3,100lb load rating will not work for me since my rear end would tax the max load).
Just something to consider.

EDIT: Feel compelled to add the "snow characteristics" of tires do vary in comparisons, but keep in mind that rating is not your savior - driving on ice and snow is more about the person behind the wheel (safety impacted more by experience and common sense).
Yes, I've been aware of my van's load capabilites. It's about 11,000 lbs, and all of those tires I'm still considering have similar load bearings of my current ones of 129 (4080 lbs). Good thing to remind people of though, thanks! And yes, I agree, the driver in snow is much more important than the vehicle than it's tires. It's always an interesting spectacle up here watching people drive up to the mountain!

I also gotta say that I love the fact that you are so quick to answer anybody's question. I'm very new at this, and acquired a beauty of a van in December, and am thirsty with learning as much as I can about every component in it. You have been very helpful!
PNWschusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 12:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsfamily View Post
You won’t go wrong with the Falken Wildpeaks. I will also add, tires that do really well in snow, also collect pebbles more than the norm.
Thank you for your advice! They are very appealing tires... And I concur, there are always minor annoyances to anything a person wants to purchase. Pros and cons to everything. I think the little pebbles may be ignored in my tire purchase as long as ithey don't impede with winter driving, which I don't think it would.
PNWschusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #24

Posted by me in another thread:

I recently participated in the Fourwheeler Magazine's Overland Adventure. Falken tires were a major sponsor & gave each of the 20 participants a brand new set (5) of the AT3W's to use for the trip & to keep.

We did 4 days on all kinds of terrain (no snow), with over 300 miles off-road. Not one vehicle had any tire issues & I was very happy with how well they preformed and how quiet they are on the highway. I also did not hear of anyone who was unhappy with how well the tires preformed. I was also impressed with how well they handled while driving aired-down (30psi) on the pavement sections between dirt roads. We did keep the speeds at around 55 mph, per the hosts.

I haven't been in the snow yet, but the Falken rep said the AT3W's are the way to go if you plan on doing any driving in snow.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #25

I'm about to pick up a set of the Falken AT3Ws and I'm excited
Nathandeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #26

One thing to consider is tire width availability. When I bought my 2010 SMB E350 Toyos were not available wider than 285. Mine came with 315s, so I have stuck with TKOs for 10 years. I put in vastly more time on hideous rocky roads than most folks, and the TKOs have held up well. With my rig weighing in a 11, 400 lbs I want the wide tire for soft sand and mud situations.
lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWschusser View Post
Hi all,

My 4x4 2014 E350 needs new tires. Right now I have the Toyo A/T II Open Country Xtreme LT285/75R18. I live in the PNW and will be using it on snowy roads quite often, but want an all terrain tire that doesn't shake at 60 mph and will remain balanced!!! I'm leaning towards the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2... Thank you for any recommendations.
I run these Tires and have no issues with Balance or Wear.. Sounds like you have an issue with a Wheel? They are Great Tires.. Have you Balanced the Wheels, and made sure your bearings are all in good shape? DO you have a Defective tire ? Typically these Toyo AT2's are very good tires.
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:30 AM   #28

Unless you really need an offroad tire, I would go with a top of the line commercial tire. These tires will go the distance, are made for heavier loads, stay in balance. They ride a little rough, but much better than a m/s tire that is a little worn. Installing chains is not too hard and after all, it is the driver, not the tires.
Much different if you get off road, but let's face it, most people will hardly even drive on a surfaced dirt road(even with 4wd).
rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #29

This is probably good sense -- just get a good regular tire and use chains -- but having already done that, and being married to a maniac/adventurer who loves driving through snow without chains, I'm inclined to try the AT tires and see how it goes
Nathandeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #30

Whatever you do, don't cheap out. M/s tires have enough balance problems(being the knobby design), so you want a good quality tire that will support the fully loaded weight(since these vans already tip the scales even without passengers,the load is different than with a commercial vehicle), especially if you are pulling a trailer.
rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote