Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Tire/ wheel confirmation help please

I have read so much on this my head is spinning and was hoping someone here might be able to add some clarity.

Unfortunately my van is at the shop having bullet proof work done, so I can't look at it or post pics at the moment, but am trying to order tires/ wheels so I can install them once the motor work is done.

My van is a 2007 Quigley 6.0.

First question- 8x6.5 or 8x170? Some posts suggest this change happened on the '07 models and some posts suggested that '08 was the first 8x170 year. Can anyone confirm?

On wheels, I want to go with an 18" running a 275/70x18 tire. Believe this will fill out the fender wells nicely with no rubbing- anyone have experience with these?

On wheel backspacing, one member here stated that he was running this tire size with a 6.5" backspace with "minimal" rubbing. Anyone have a strong opinion on best backspacing?

If there is a thread that answers this please direct me and we won't have a redundant thread. So far I have struggled to find a clear answer as there are so many different years, 4x4 options, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tacotory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Hard to make a direct comparison, but on my 2011 Quigley I had to clearance my fenders (pie cut and cover w/ fender flare) to fit 285/70/17 on 17x9 -12mm wheels. Even with the clearance work, I'll rub the passenger fender with too much bump when turning right. I suspect you'll have a similar issue (if not worse since the tires are larger) without relocating your axle further forward (which in turn will require spacing out the bumper, but that's easy).
Old 02-23-2021, 08:21 AM   #3

Garage
I have a 03 quigley. I was able to fit 35’s (quigley stock) with 16x8 aftermarket wheels. The only rubbing was the front bumper and it was very minimal.

Now I have the moog springs that lifted me roughly 1.5-2”, but now running a metric tire that’s basically the same as a 35 on a 17x9 wheel. I get a little rub on the control arms but an inch deep from the bottom to nothing pie cut on the bumper solved all the rub on the bumper.

Point is, quigleys vary quite a bit from van to van and no one answer is going to be the answer for your particular van. If you’re trying to maximize tire vs space your best option is to get in good with a tire shop and spend a day test fitting tires. People’s luck with wheel size and offset should get you ballpark for wheels, but there is no industry standard for sizing on tires, so you’re going to have to do that the hard way by test fitting. When I say no industry standard, I mean one companies 315/70r17 tire can be wider and taller or more narrow and smaller overall diameter than another brand tire in the exact same size.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #4

Garage
This thread has quite a bit of information that may prove helpful:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-15310.html
Old 02-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
This thread has quite a bit of information that may prove helpful:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-15310.html
Very helpful, that's a good link. The -12 offset on my wheels looks great, but contributes to the rubbing at full lock under compression. I think I would have been fine with 0 offset, which would give the 4.5in backspacing (on a 9in wheel) that Chris recommends in the second post.

I found it interesting that I only have the issue on one side. The passenger wheel sits about a finger-width further back than the driver side relative to the fender with the wheels pointing straight. No weird tire wear patterns and the van tracks straight. I'm guessing that Quigley's 4-link bracket is just offset a bit on that side. Come to think of it, the passenger ball joint is worn (waiting for warmer weather to do the work outside). Certainly not 1/2" of movement there, but perhaps it's contributing? I digress!
Old 02-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Does Quigley's van database go deep enough to provide axle, and bolt pattern, information? I know if you provide Quigley the VIN they can look up your conversion.

Herb
Old 02-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Does Quigley's van database go deep enough to provide axle, and bolt pattern, information? I know if you provide Quigley the VIN they can look up your conversion.

Herb
It does. The list they send out is a item by item list of everything involved with that vin number.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 02-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
.I found it interesting that I only have the issue on one side. The passenger wheel sits about a finger-width further back than the driver side relative to the fender with the wheels pointing straight. No weird tire wear patterns and the van tracks straight. I'm guessing that Quigley's 4-link bracket is just offset a bit on that side. Come to think of it, the passenger ball joint is worn (waiting for warmer weather to do the work outside). Certainly not 1/2" of movement there, but perhaps it's contributing? I digress!
I know that lifting mine with the springs shifted my front axle to the passengers side about the same as it lifted it. I suspect because my panhard bar isn’t adjustable so I can’t compensate for the lift. No odd wearing tires that I’ve noticed and the wheels appear to be centered, but ya. Who knows.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotory View Post

First question- 8x6.5 or 8x170? Some posts suggest this change happened on the '07 models and some posts suggested that '08 was the first 8x170 year. Can anyone confirm?
I have a 2007 Quigley, and it came from Quigley with adapters on the rear axle to take it from the 8x6.5 to the 8x170mm pattern - to match the Superduty front axle they installed under it.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotory View Post
I have read so much on this my head is spinning and was hoping someone here might be able to add some clarity.

Unfortunately my van is at the shop having bullet proof work done, so I can't look at it or post pics at the moment, but am trying to order tires/ wheels so I can install them once the motor work is done.

On wheels, I want to go with an 18" running a 275/70x18 tire. Believe this will fill out the fender wells nicely with no rubbing- anyone have experience with these?

On wheel backspacing, one member here stated that he was running this tire size with a 6.5" backspace with "minimal" rubbing. Anyone have a strong opinion on best backspacing?

If there is a thread that answers this please direct me and we won't have a redundant thread. So far I have struggled to find a clear answer as there are so many different years, 4x4 options, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mine is a 2008 with Timberline's 4" lift. I'm running Hankook 275/70-18 tires on Pro Comp wheels 18x9, 8 on 170 bolt pattern, 4.75 backspace, -6 offset. No rubbing and here's how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Front close up.jpg   IMG_5373.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote