Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #1

Toyo Tires / Noise Factor

After all the talk on Toyo tires I'm thinking of changing from the BFG A/T KO 285-75/R16's D rated I have to the Toyo Open Country M/T's . I'm concerned about increase in noise and decrease in gas mileage.
Anyone have any thoughts.

Thanks,

Bob in Tucson

Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #2

I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I considered how much mud/sand driving I would be doing compared to pavement, dirt, fire roads, snow, jeep roads, etc, and decided to go with the Toyo AT's instead of the MT's. I have been very pleased with them. We drove them in 6" of snow in Colorado and they were fine, even in 2WD. We drove up out of the Gunnison River in 6" of snow in two wheel drive (2,000 foot gain in 5 miles). I didn't put it into 4 wheel drive until we hooked our strap onto a rental car that was stuck in the road and pulled him the last mile and a half out of the canyon. I've driven in mud on the dirt roads around Silverton and they were fine. I haven't had them in a swamp situation or deep sand so can't tell about that. They are very quite and I like the way they handle. We averaged 11.98 miles per gallon on our 3,000 mile trip and did a lot of dirt roads. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

I just put the Toyo M/T's on and they are a little more noisy than the previous A/T style tires I had. If I had a gas engine, it would probably be annoying, but with the diesel you can't notice it much.

When I called the tire shop asking on prices for M/T's and A/T's, the guy told me that the M/T's actually result in better gas mileage as they are a stiffer tire than the A/T's.

The one thing I can't figure out is that the van never pulled at all before the M/T's and now I have a mild pull to the right. I'm not sure if that is a result of the tread pattern? Absolutely nothing else changed and I've looked at the linkage up front to make sure they didn't tweak the steering linkage when the tire shop jacked up the van.

I haven't driven on them much yet, but will have solid opinion after returning from Alaska.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your replies. After considering the fact that I just purchased 2 new BFG AT's in April that I have on the rear, and knowing that I'll be doing a heck of lot more highway driving than off-road. And I won't be doing any rock crawling. I opted to purchase 2 E rated BFG's for the front. So on my trip to Silverton next month I will have 4 new BFG AT KO 285/75R16's and 4 new Bilsteins. Hopefully the different rating -D on the rear and E on the front will not have an adverse affect and my swaying problem will be corrected. If not I will swap out the rear BFG's for E rated when I get back

Bob in Tucson
Old 06-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #5

Yeah I'd put the E on the rear. I aired up my BFG Ds to max pressure and it handles a lot better, but I'm still looking forward to upgrading to Es.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #6

Hello Jage,

That's interesting that you suggest putting the E's on the rear. I'm thinking that the front is heavier so put them there. But I'm certainly not an expert on any of this stuff.

Thanks for the input.

Bob in Tucson
Old 06-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #7

Well I'm basing this on the 60/80 door sticker (not that BFGs go that high) and my own experience running 55/55 which seems to leave the back sidewalls much like wet noodles but doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on the front.

I have still not, yet, gone to actually weigh my van.