Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 05:52 AM   #11

Garage
just took a peek at my build sheet since we have similar vans (03 7.3 quigleys) and my sheet doesnt list the actual t-case number or model anywhere, but it has part numbers for every other piece go figure. it does look like the tcase is specific to 03-04 only, which doesnt help matters. so when you reach out to sabrina (Sabrina@quigley4x4.com), specifically ask her what case it is. please list it out here so i can make note of it as well, lol.

the shop that sponcers my buddy is advanced suspension design (advancedsuspensiondesign)

Address: 317 Addison Ave W, Twin Falls, ID 83301

Phone: (208) 732-5334

ran into the owner randomly out in the woods, then found out he helps my buddy with his racecar....such a small world anymore. super nice family and highly recommend them. gave me a ride in his boosted jeep to a mine up a crazy trail. was amazed at where that jeep could go.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #12

Climb under your rig and look at the transfer case. Every one I've ever seen has had a tag on them with all needed info. It quite possibly could be a Borg-Warner BW1356 and they have a known problem. Google Borg-Warner BW1356 transfer case problems and read all about it.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #13

Garage
he does have the bw1356 confirmed by sabrina. hes been in touch with jeff at advanced suspension as well. I was able to find a handful of transfer cases for the 99-03 f350's available at the local salvage yard where hes at for just over $400.00. hopefully jeff is familiar enough with the tcase enough to get him back on the road sooner than later. I don't know a whole lot about those cases, but seems it would be better to replace the bearing that's gone bad vs the entire case. that way if there were other issues they could be taken care of while apart rather than hoping for the best with a used unit.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 07-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #14

The BW1356 has a known oil pump problem so the transfer case will need a complete rebuild or the troubles will continue.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #15

The 1356 is an easy and inexpensive Tcase to rebuild. Buying used is no guarantee of getting one in good shape unfortunately, so why not just rebuild it? The biggest issue with them is the oil pump bracket that wears a groove in the case eventually allowing the pump to spin and stop pumping. It's an easy fix, with several Utube videos on the process. The other big issue is the planetary gear set has non serviceable thrust washers, and when they wear past the limit (about .060in end play as I remember) they tend to pop out of 4low. Fortunately, there is an updated part that's much better. Throw in a set a bearings, and likely it will be like new for many years to come. Othewise, there are plenty of rebuilt units available, I'd just want to make sure they used the updated planetary set. Best of luck
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #16

Well... Shenrie to the rescue. Folks at Advanced Suspension Design were all over it once Sabrina at Quigley got me part # Borg Warner 1356/1756. No longer made so found a new/remand. Should come in tomorrow and get installed Friday God willin.

FYI Rock Creek RV Park in Twin Falls a good option if you're traveling through.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #17

Garage
glad to help joe! really happy they were able to assist and get you taken care of.

if your looking for a scenic way back to the boring highway after the fact, take highway 30 through Hagerman. 1000 springs is visible from the road and is pretty neat to see. lots of side adventures in that area if you aren't behind schedule. malad gorge, blue hart springs, Hagerman fossil beds to name a few.

miracle hot springs is right in the same area which also has a campground and alligators for some reason. they are a pay site, but its a nice facility.

if you go that way and pass through buhl, make sure and stop at cloverleaf creamery. that's my buddy erics place who is sponsored by advanced suspension. their ice cream and chocolate milk is out of this world and definitely worth stopping for.

totally understand if you just wanna get home after this ordeal, but thought id offer some suggestions if you aren't in a hurry

also, in the future, if your broke down in Idaho, put that in your title. ill definitely click on that thread sooner than later. I might have been able to save a joe a day stuck in twin falls if he had done that.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #18

Love this community we have. Very, very special. Thanks Shea!!!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #19

Garage
Of course ray! I didn’t really do much. Just got him pointed in the right direction and he took it from there. I’ve been helped more times than I can count from forum members, including yourself. It’s the least I can do for our little community!

I was part of a honda helpline for years. Helping fellow members get going when they broke down in my area. I helped and was helped from Canada to places as far away at georgia.

The buddy system benefits all involved. This board is a little tougher to be useful cause I’m poor and van stuff is spendy, but I’ve had a garage full of honda spares for years so it was easy to grab what was needed and roll out to where people were broke down and get them on their way. Still, just being able to refer a place that can help goes a long way. Resources are pretty limited in this podunk state.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Of course ray! I didn’t really do much. Just got him pointed in the right direction and he took it from there. I’ve been helped more times than I can count from forum members, including yourself. It’s the least I can do for our little community!
Well don't downplay your assist through all this Shenrie---sometimes a good point or push in the right direction is all it takes!

Just out of curiosity would be advantageous to keep the inoperative t-case and have it reman'd just in case its needed at a later date?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote