Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #1

Transfer case height over the ground

Sorry, I can be expressed is inexact... I will try to explain...

When we see old Fords, it has necessarily low point transfer case in the middle of a frame.

It was on Bronco and pickups. The Same position transfer case on my first project on photo:

I have seen same on the E350 1997 from Quigley. Quiglei has lowered support AT to pass front shaft. It is clear. It has a consequence the same low position transfer case as it was on old trucks.

Now I see your new E 4x4 which have no low position transfer case. Sportsmobil are put on front springs, therefore front suspension is above, than at Guigley on screw springs. Rear suspension as is above. Therefore you use 35" without problems. How SB has put transfer case above, than it did Quigley? And why SB has no problems with unequal corners shafts which arise at lifting transfer case?

Pls, take me photo in other side and low...

http://s59.radikal.ru/i166/1002/fb/d88e484b99cb.jpg

Thanks...

Russian name road that place where are going to pass...
Mmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: Transfer case height over the ground

Mmnt -

SMB uses the Atlas gear-driven transfer case which is more compact than the factory Ford NV271 metal belt-driven transfer case used by Quigley, Quadvan, and Salem-Kroger. I don't know about the other 4x4 fabricators, but Quigley custom-made the adapter to go from the transmission tailshaft housing to the transfer case. The adapter was designed to keep driveline angles at a minimum to prevent vibration and other issues. As a result, the transfer case hangs down below the frame rails and is vulnerable to damage while off-roading.

It is possible to re-drill the adapter to rotate or "clock" the transfer case up and achieve more ground clearance. Somebody here on this forum has done it. Whether a van has leaf or coil spring front suspension really doesn't come into play with the transfer case.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

Dear Switchfoot, thanks for your detailed answer. I ask, because I have been surprised by work Quigley. He has lowered transfer case more low, than it was made by me at independent construction. Though I had strong restriction in a choice of units...

I used body-lift 2,5 "in the first project. It has given open space for AT and transfer case. I plan to do the same with it Quigley 1997. But I wish to understand, I can do what offset not to have vibration rear shaft.

I see that I can hoist transfer case on 2" (Further I will be disturbed by a cross-section beam of a frame). But 2 "is enough. Then support AT it will be returned on height what it had at 2wd, to Quigley. And transfer case I become less vulnerable also I can close it protection sheet.

I do not understand that prevented Quigley to do so from the very beginning. And not to create a problem from low position transfer case...

Old 02-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #4

Quigley is made for mild 4x4, not for heavy off-road use. The Quigley 4x4 conversion must be approved by Ford for sale through any Ford dealer. They are more concerned with reducing possible vibrations from steeper driveshaft angles and they are less concerned with ground clearance.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #5

QuadVan uses CV-joint instead of U-joint driveshafts.

I'm pretty sure they maintain a horizontal orientation with the T-case.

T-case clearance seems pretty good. Lowest point besides the axle is the Radius arms.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnt

I do not understand that prevented Quigley to do so from the very beginning. And not to create a problem from low position transfer case...
I think they did that because drive-line angles would be too steep. Since they shorten the stock u-joint driveline, the angle is restricted.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

I spoke with Larry Yates and Tiger at Quigley about "clocking" the transfer case and they mentioned the only possible side effect was vibration from the front driveshaft, not the rear. Sounds like this issue could be solved by using CV joints instead of u-joints as CarringB mentioned.

I asked Larry about the low-hanging transfer case and lack of a provided skid plate. He said that Quigley has never had a transfer case damaged in any of the rather extreme 4x4 stuff (for a full-size van) they do in Utah and other places to promote their company. He did say they usually had a spotter(s) - which helps tremendously.

Good to know, but I'd be the one to harpoon that rock in Baja, crush the cast aluminum case, and bleed out the transfer case miles from home...
Old 02-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #8

This Larry from Quigley persistently does not answer my letters a month...

I did not ask here about preparation to heavy offroad. But van has long base and the middle of a frame is very vulnerable on difference of a relief. Even if to go to fry a shish kebab... Surprisingly, but clearance worsen concerning usual 2wd... think, Ford is a diagnosis. On mine GMC Yukon T-case has no big difference of height of points front and rear shaft, therefore the problem is not present... Imho, Ford and Quigley are very lazy and choose the most simple decisions (which not always good).

Well. Thanks you for versions. I shall make experiments now. I have no anxiety about vibrations front shaft. If it it is used, speeds of movement very small, it offroad. But vibrations rear shaft can be a problem because of a difference of corners...

Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnt
Ford and Quigley are very lazy and choose the most simple decisions (which not always good).
It is not just that, there is a legal factor for everything they do, considering they are companies in the USA, they have a great chance of being sued for making a mistake. Vans are already considered dangerous, raising them increases that factor, which increases the possibility of a law suit if something goes wrong.

My tractor for example has a switch that if you move your butt out of the seat, the whole thing shuts down. Try to get off the tractor at any point, or even shift wrong, and the engine shuts off no matter what. That is in addition to not being able to start without the clutch in, not be able to start when not in neutral, not able to have a mower deck engaged when in reverse... my point is, there can be overkill on safety here.

Additionally the places here that require offroad capabilities are few and far between. There is not as much reason to build extremely capable vehicles, except for recreation purposes. The mild 4x4 that Quigley builds is more than enough for most travel in the United States of America.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #10

Yeah, Quigley builds for mild trails and snow, which is what most customers need.

Ford more technical off-road driving, there are 4x4 vans from SalemKroger, QuadVan, SalemKroger leaf-spring setup, and Sportsmobile (each one being more off road capable, and more expensive)