Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Transfer Flow Fuel Tank Leaking

Well everything else has leaked at one time or another so this is my current dilemma. I saw some new wet spots under the van when I got home from work. It was diesel fuel. I had filled yesterday to the click off and parked it after driving 175 miles this weekend. I no longer top it off and the van nose is always on a slight down angle so I don't collect water in the rear gutter. Anyway it looks like something from the top of tank has a slight leak and has been leaking for quite sometime. This was just the first time there was enough to hit the ground, puddle and be noticed. Maybe because of the fill up. The final drops come off the front lower edge of the tank. The front and inboard side of the tank forward of the front hanger were slimy wet with grime. It wiped clean with paper towels. Behind the front hanger there is a dry dust coating on the tank like the forward motion mixed dust and a tiny amount of diesel fuel into a dirty deposit. I'm not familiar with the top of the tank so does anyone want to take bets on what it might be? How many penetrations are there, etc.? This is going to take awhile to burn up the tank to get to a point where it can be looked at. I know I don't want to do the tank drop though!

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Transfer Flow Fuel Tank Leaking

I took mine into SMB a few months ago for the same problem, luckily under warranty. They said there was a leak in the pressure release valve. Fixed, not leaking now.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #3

Tapiato - Thanks for the reply. My van will be 9 years old next month so probably not an warranty issue anymore.

I found a Transfer Flow "recommended" installer here in San Diego so will consult with them soon.

I also took a peek a bit ago and 2 hours after wiping all of that front and side area dry some of it it is wet again. I think what ever the situation is it has recently worsened.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #4

There are 4 area's if you don't count a tank damage.
On mine, I have in the center the filler neck and the Ford tank unit (pump, fuel pick up and return.
Front and back you have the vents.
All of them are locked in place by turning.
Your options could be, defective seal, released clamp, rotated out of position...

Good luck
Here are some pictures,

AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Tapiato - Thanks for the reply. My van will be 9 years old next month so probably not an warranty issue anymore.

I found a Transfer Flow "recommended" installer here in San Diego so will consult with them soon.

I also took a peek a bit ago and 2 hours after wiping all of that front and side area dry some of it it is wet again. I think what ever the situation is it has recently worsened.
Pat, I've had a similar problem. It only occurs if I fill the tank as much as I can and then park in my driveway after putting a mile or two on the van. It is probably a 5% angle down and I always back in. I've since stopped trying to truly top off the tank when I know I'm heading home immediately after and I haven't had that problem anymore.

I'd love to hear what you find out, especially since I'm in San Diego as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #6

Yes normally I don't fill it on the trip return but I'm trying to get the ScanGauge re-calibrated for fuel consumption and wanted to manually calculate my trip mileage without any work commutes. So I was full and on a similar incline. It will take a month of commuting to get it down to E but will share final results.

Thanks for photo's Andrew.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
TF are pretty good about supporting old products. It won't be free but they've been very good to me about issues with my old tank.

If you want to get it fixed "for sure", I would take it to them.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Pat, I've had a similar problem. It only occurs if I fill the tank as much as I can and then park in my driveway after putting a mile or two on the van. It is probably a 5% angle down and I always back in. I've since stopped trying to truly top off the tank when I know I'm heading home immediately after and I haven't had that problem anymore.

I'd love to hear what you find out, especially since I'm in San Diego as well.

Exactly my situation, as well. Been this way for the 5+ years of ownership. I just live with it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Exactly my situation, as well. Been this way for the 5+ years of ownership. I just live with it.
Glad to hear that (misery loves company, right?). First time it happened I crawled around for a long time trying to figure out if the fuel tank had any damage. Now I just change my filling habits.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #10

I drove 20 miles, using 1.5 gallons and and parked the same nose down way and did not experience anymore leakage overnight. Based on this and everyone's comments I think I'm going to downgrade the seriousness of this issue. I can not imagine having any tank damage up there so I have to assume one of the penetrations is leaking. I think I'll throw a few questions at Transfer Flow to get their opinion of it. If anything of merit comes up I'll resurrect the thread. This is the perfect time then for me to consider "harpooning" and an Espar air heater.