Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #1

truetrack vs selectable locker

looking for more input. van is a 5.4 converting to 4x4.
option 1: Detroit truetrack front and rear.
option 2: selectable locker rear and truetrack front.

now I know a locker would be better in the rear than the true track but one locker cost the same as 2 truetracks and im not sure if I will really need a full locker.
The 4x4 I will be doing will be mostly sand, and rough muddy trails.
cant see my self being able to do to much rock crawling as it is an extended van and will have a full camper conversion.
Do you guys think the 2 truetracks will be enough?

Itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #2

Garage
Having driven in a vehicle with both, here goes:
* a locker will allow you to go further in 2wd than 4wd with a limited slip...and get into more trouble

* 4wd is not really 4wd...it's 2wd (1 front and 1 rear).
* limited slip is better in snow/ice than a locker (paved road snow/ice...offroad snow/ice = a locker is much better).
* a locker will require a cable (OX) or electrical switch (ARB).

Without knowing the specifics of the van and the driving type or location, I'd choose locker.
What axles are under the van?
Old 08-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Team

IMO, if you're going to do one selectable locker, put it in the front. On tight trails it's nice to be able to unlock the front axle for a somewhat tighter turning radius, as compared to a locked front axle.

Herb
Old 08-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

It’s a ford e350 Dana 60 all the way around. From what it looks like a lot of Jeep guys are even happy with true tracks front and rear. I mean what is an extended e350 even capable of? it seems like any thing a little steep I will just be dragging the ass up. It seems like a locker is mostly for rock crawling or bigger stuff? I know the locker is better but I don’t know if I’m really going to need it in the situations I’ve stated. I guess a better question is when has the true track not been enough
Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy feet View Post
It’s a ford e350 Dana 60 all the way around. From what it looks like a lot of Jeep guys are even happy with true tracks front and rear. I mean what is an extended e350 even capable of? it seems like any thing a little steep I will just be dragging the ass up. It seems like a locker is mostly for rock crawling or bigger stuff? I know the locker is better but I don’t know if I’m really going to need it in the situations I’ve stated. I guess a better question is when has the true track not been enough
The benefit of the locker is that is fully locked or fully unlocked, not kinda half and half like the LSD.

One place a tight limited slip can get you in trouble is a slick side hill. If both tires start to spin then the back end will swing down hill in a heart beat. With a locker it could be turned off and have one wheel peel.

In general though, I think a single LSD in the back would probably be good enough for 95% of the places you are going to take an extended van.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

Lockers are not just for rock crawling. My van is not a rock crawler and will never be used as a rock crawler. But I have to deal with washed-out roads all the time and that's why I installed front and rear ARBs in mine. Something like the below is easily crossable if done at an angle if you can lock all 4 wheels together. You'll have one front tire and one rear tire hanging in the air. Without a locker, you are done. Hard to tell in the photo but that washout is 3' deep.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100099r.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	35281

Here's a couple of the van crossing a stream bed:
Attachment 35282

Attachment 35283
Old 08-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #7

Quote:
I mean what is an extended e350 even capable of?
I don't think Chris is running lockers, but I could be wrong. Never the less, vans can be way more capable than most folks think.

Edit: He does have a locker at least in the rear.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/fea...Crr7bHxltCjmE4
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
The benefit of the locker is that is fully locked or fully unlocked, not kinda half and half like the LSD.

One place a tight limited slip can get you in trouble is a slick side hill. If both tires start to spin then the back end will swing down hill in a heart beat. With a locker it could be turned off and have one wheel peel.

In general though, I think a single LSD in the back would probably be good enough for 95% of the places you are going to take an extended van.
Ok cool ya didn’t think about that situation
Old 08-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Lockers are not just for rock crawling. My van is not a rock crawler and will never be used as a rock crawler. But I have to deal with washed-out roads all the time and that's why I installed front and rear ARBs in mine. Something like the below is easily crossable if done at an angle if you can lock all 4 wheels together. You'll have one front tire and one rear tire hanging in the air. Without a locker, you are done. Hard to tell in the photo but that washout is 3' deep.
Attachment 35281

Here's a couple of the van crossing a stream bed:
Attachment 35282

Attachment 35283
Awesome thanks another thing I didn’t think about the link didn’t load but that picture looks pretty scary to cross
Old 08-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Awesome thanks another thing I didn’t think about the link didn’t load but that picture looks pretty scary to cross
Sorry 'bout that. Not sure why the one photo posted OK but not the other two so I'll try it again.

Name:	P1070370epspr.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	35288

Name:	P1070372er.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	35289