Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
truetrack vs selectable locker

looking for more input. van is a 5.4 converting to 4x4.
option 1: Detroit truetrack front and rear.
option 2: selectable locker rear and truetrack front.

now I know a locker would be better in the rear than the true track but one locker cost the same as 2 truetracks and im not sure if I will really need a full locker.
The 4x4 I will be doing will be mostly sand, and rough muddy trails.
cant see my self being able to do to much rock crawling as it is an extended van and will have a full camper conversion.
Do you guys think the 2 truetracks will be enough?
__________________

Itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: ree-know, nuh-vah-duh
Posts: 192
Garage
Having driven in a vehicle with both, here goes:
* a locker will allow you to go further in 2wd than 4wd with a limited slip...and get into more trouble

* 4wd is not really 4wd...it's 2wd (1 front and 1 rear).
* limited slip is better in snow/ice than a locker (paved road snow/ice...offroad snow/ice = a locker is much better).
* a locker will require a cable (OX) or electrical switch (ARB).

Without knowing the specifics of the van and the driving type or location, I'd choose locker.
What axles are under the van?
__________________

__________________
Chris
2006 E350 4x4 SMB: 6.0L-5R110-Atlas-D60-D60-yada-yada-yada
unreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #3
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 9,322
IMO, if you're going to do one selectable locker, put it in the front. On tight trails it's nice to be able to unlock the front axle for a somewhat tighter turning radius, as compared to a locked front axle.




Herb
__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
It’s a ford e350 Dana 60 all the way around. From what it looks like a lot of Jeep guys are even happy with true tracks front and rear. I mean what is an extended e350 even capable of? it seems like any thing a little steep I will just be dragging the ass up. It seems like a locker is mostly for rock crawling or bigger stuff? I know the locker is better but I don’t know if I’m really going to need it in the situations I’ve stated. I guess a better question is when has the true track not been enough
Itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy feet View Post
Itís a ford e350 Dana 60 all the way around. From what it looks like a lot of Jeep guys are even happy with true tracks front and rear. I mean what is an extended e350 even capable of? it seems like any thing a little steep I will just be dragging the ass up. It seems like a locker is mostly for rock crawling or bigger stuff? I know the locker is better but I donít know if Iím really going to need it in the situations Iíve stated. I guess a better question is when has the true track not been enough
The benefit of the locker is that is fully locked or fully unlocked, not kinda half and half like the LSD.

One place a tight limited slip can get you in trouble is a slick side hill. If both tires start to spin then the back end will swing down hill in a heart beat. With a locker it could be turned off and have one wheel peel.

In general though, I think a single LSD in the back would probably be good enough for 95% of the places you are going to take an extended van.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
deserteagle56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle of Nevada
Posts: 161
Lockers are not just for rock crawling. My van is not a rock crawler and will never be used as a rock crawler. But I have to deal with washed-out roads all the time and that's why I installed front and rear ARBs in mine. Something like the below is easily crossable if done at an angle if you can lock all 4 wheels together. You'll have one front tire and one rear tire hanging in the air. Without a locker, you are done. Hard to tell in the photo but that washout is 3' deep.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100099r.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	35281

Here's a couple of the van crossing a stream bed:
Attachment 35282

Attachment 35283
__________________
Worshipper of Wild Country
2007 Quigley V-10 on 33s with 4.56 gears (Toyhauler)
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy feet View Post
I mean what is an extended e350 even capable of?
I don't think Chris is running lockers, but I could be wrong. Never the less, vans can be way more capable than most folks think.

Edit: He does have a locker at least in the rear.

https://www.fourwheeler.com/news/fea...Crr7bHxltCjmE4
__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
The benefit of the locker is that is fully locked or fully unlocked, not kinda half and half like the LSD.

One place a tight limited slip can get you in trouble is a slick side hill. If both tires start to spin then the back end will swing down hill in a heart beat. With a locker it could be turned off and have one wheel peel.

In general though, I think a single LSD in the back would probably be good enough for 95% of the places you are going to take an extended van.
Ok cool ya didnít think about that situation
Itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Lockers are not just for rock crawling. My van is not a rock crawler and will never be used as a rock crawler. But I have to deal with washed-out roads all the time and that's why I installed front and rear ARBs in mine. Something like the below is easily crossable if done at an angle if you can lock all 4 wheels together. You'll have one front tire and one rear tire hanging in the air. Without a locker, you are done. Hard to tell in the photo but that washout is 3' deep.
Attachment 35281

Here's a couple of the van crossing a stream bed:
Attachment 35282

Attachment 35283
Awesome thanks another thing I didn’t think about the link didn’t load but that picture looks pretty scary to cross
Itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
deserteagle56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middle of Nevada
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy feet View Post
Awesome thanks another thing I didnít think about the link didnít load but that picture looks pretty scary to cross
Sorry 'bout that. Not sure why the one photo posted OK but not the other two so I'll try it again.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070370epspr.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	35288

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070372er.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	35289
__________________

__________________
Worshipper of Wild Country
2007 Quigley V-10 on 33s with 4.56 gears (Toyhauler)
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×