Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

U Joint 4WD conversion kit on a 2010 E350 passenger van.....

We bought our van to pull our boat and were having issues on the (slippery) boat ramps we frequent. Since the van is perfect for us in every other way, we decided to put the money into converting the van to 4WD instead of selling it for another vehicle.

After all the great reviews I called Chris at U Joint for more info. After Chris answered all my questions he told me he was planning a trip to California and would assist with the install of the conversion at a very reasonable price. Ordered the conversion kit, axle, and a bunch of misc stuff to put it all together. Since the van is equipped with Advancetrac RSC Chris spec'd some different parts than he normally would to keep this system in tact.

The initial install was complete very quick with the help of Chris, John at One Ton Off Road, a good friend of mine Rob, and myself. Chris and I installed the front hangers in an afternoon, the remaining was done the next day at John's shop. After the initial conversion the van sat for several months because I have had a very hectic work schedule and was unable to take any time to work on it. Recently Chris made some design changes to correct for the Advancetrac RSC system, and Rob and I just got it installed.

I still have Camburg's lift block and shock in the rear and it is a little too low compared to the front now. When I get around to taking some measurements Chris is going to help me out with the rear springs.

The van drives great! Absolutely no bump steer due to the steering setup! The van drives straight as an arrow without any steering inputs. I have put the van through its paces around right and left turns, freeway cloverleafs, freeway turns, and cannot get the RSC system to activate at all! Very very pleased with it! Chris nailed this setup!

I highly recommend anyone who is considering doing a 4WD conversion call Chris. His customer service is awesome. He answered his phone just about every time I called even while working on the van late at night in CA, sometimes very late on the east coast. Chris knows his stuff, has a great eye for style, and has great attention to detail.

I will update this thread when we change the rear springs and make additions to the van. Here is some pictures so far.......

Chris pulls into SoCal in Vanaconda....

We got started right away. Chris made this step look easy!

Chris was able to make the drill bits go farther with some sharpening....

One side mounted, working on the other side....

ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Re: U Joint 4WD conversion kit on a 2010 E350 passenger van.

The following day we drove to One Ton Off Road and got some help from John. In the air at John's place. His new shop wasn't complete yet so we were in the dirt for the install....

Front suspension gone....

Setting up to install the rear shackle for the front springs....

Here is a shot of what the rear shackle mount looks like during install....

Opening the shipping container of the axle Chris built for me. Shipped it coast to coast!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

Slid the front axle under the van....

Getting there....

Just before putting it back on the ground for the first time....

Made some changes to the knuckles, steering, brakes, and abs sensors to make corrections for the Advancetrac RSC system.

Here is an overall view for now. Like I mentioned the rear end is a little low, soon to be remedied....

Another overall different angle....

More to come as changes and/or additions are made.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #4

Nice! So, you and Chris and the crew had the job mostly done in 2 days? That's awesome.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimrun
The following day we drove to One Ton Off Road and got some help from John. In the air at John's place. His new shop wasn't complete yet so we were in the dirt for the install....

Front suspension gone....

Setting up to install the rear shackle for the front springs....

Here is a shot of what the rear shackle mount looks like during install....

Opening the shipping container of the axle Chris built for me. Shipped it coast to coast!

ctimrun, Great looking van man!!! I was wondering what lift is it 4, 6, or 8? I see you have the cross over steering. Do you know or if Chris is surfing through here or anyone else...What is the smallest UJOR kit you can run his cross over steering on? From UJOR site I took it 8 inches, but I think you have a 4 with cross over steering but I am not sure if my assumption is right. After having Chyrsler products with links and coils from jeeps to rams with 33 inch to 38 inch tires and death wobble etc...I would go with Chris and leafs in the front in a heartbeat if I had the $. Just my 2 cents I know quadvan and quigley are great but I just want to get away from the long arm links that I have messed with for several years. Also the superdutys up to 2004 never tracked as good with leafs but I don't know of them ever ever deathwoobling. Again I would take a quadvan or quigly in a heartbeat, but personaly like the options of UJOR and leafs. Did not know you could do 4X4 with RSC and hear sportsmobile was only converting cargos without RSC, but I am a newbie on here and weather that is true or not about sportsmobile...I did not know you could do 4X4 with RSC.

VERY COOL VAN!!!
sac95985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #6

Very nice!

So Chris has figured out how to deal with the RSC / AdvanceTrak system? Tell me more!

Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #7

Man, I didn't know you had all of those pics! I should have dressed nicer....

Here's the info on crossover steering/lift height. Normally, the SD front axle I use needs at least 6" of lift to clear crossover. This is because out only option is a replacement knuckle that has a tall arm built in. These x-over kits were developed for F series trucks with a lot of lift, so the arm is cast in pretty tall.

Tim's van is a 4" lift, and has different knuckles because of the RSC upgrade. These particular knuckles can accept a flat steering arm, so it clears the frame with the 4" lift. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Finally...... YES!!!!!! I have a solution for RSC. It took some time to work out, and isn't cheap, but it works. I'll have more details on my site before the weekend is over, I need to finalize some #'s and work out the options.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

How involved is the engine crossmember modification for the 4" lift? How much travel do you get with that?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith80
Nice! So, you and Chris and the crew had the job mostly done in 2 days? That's awesome.
We made pretty good time with it. Seems like a lot of work but it actually isn't that bad. As you can see we were able to get it done without even putting the van up on a lift. Sure it would have made it more comfortable to do some of the work, but it is completely doable without a vehicle lift.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey
Very nice!

So Chris has figured out how to deal with the RSC / AdvanceTrak system? Tell me more!

Mike.

Mike,

Chris was somehow able to incorporate the stock abs/RSC parts to keep the system in tact as if the stock suspension was on the van still. I think I have a pretty good understanding of it, but I will let him explain more since he is the expert!

I can tell you I have no warning lights illuminated nor have I had any RSC activations since dialing it in. I have been trying to make the RSC system activate by taking corners and freeway cloverleafs faster than I normally would, and the system does not give false activations. I also took advantage of the rain last night and made a very abrupt emergency stop test in the parking lot of my work and the abs system kicked in and worked like it should.