Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post
I have learned so much during the last 3 month van search on this forum, thanks to all for their comments and advice.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this one:

https://stgeorge.craigslist.org/rvs/7024806596.html

Have done a ton of research on it for the last month, had my son do an in person first inspection, the owner has been very forthright with answers in every case and provided invoices for everything, and all that is left is a pre-purchase inspection and a bullet proofing confirmation from a bulletproofdiesel.com recommended shop. Not sure if I am missing anything, hope I have done a proper job of due diligence. I know I have a ton to learn yet. There will be expenses before I drive it down to Belize (like all fluid changes?) and I want to install a security system (motion sensor lights outside, extra locks on van doors, steering wheel lock and a kill switch) as well as solar. So I suspect I will be asking a few more questions on here in the coming months.

That is a very nice one IMO. Good luck.

Herb

Old 12-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #22
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belize View Post

...and I want to install a security system (motion sensor lights outside, extra locks on van doors, steering wheel lock and a kill switch) as well as solar. So I suspect I will be asking a few more questions on here in the coming months.
For added door security I'd look into the newest The Auto Bolt products---they're electrically operated dead bolt that make any door in which they're installed nearly unopenable by traditional criminal breaching methods. I have something similar installed DIY on my work van and rest easy knowing when they're engaged they can't be easily opened.

And yes that linked van is a VERY nice edition---definitely hope the deal goes through!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #23

I would ck to see if 6.0 parts are available down there. You will have issues, there's no such thing as a "bulletproofed" 6.0 IMO. It's always something with them. if you want reliability get a gas motor.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
I would ck to see if 6.0 parts are available down there. You will have issues, there's no such thing as a "bulletproofed" 6.0 IMO. It's always something with them. if you want reliability get a gas motor.
I have to agree with you. Of all the motors available, the 6,0 is probably the most troublesome. Gas motors are far less expensive to maintain too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #25

Garage
I have checked and there are parts and labor, though a bit more problematic than in the US. But then everything about living in Belize is problematic, except the freedom.
Belize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #26

Saw this Hi-ace for sale on Craigslist. Kinda far from you but it looks nice.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/summerville-1994-toyota-hiace-30-liter/7039705998.html
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
I had a recent conversation with a guy who’s commercial business HAD 3-4 “six-point-OH!” Ford trucks... for context, commercial businesses aren’t brand loyal, a business is ‘bottom line loyal’.

According to him, the owner couldn’t get rid of them fast enough. Food for thought
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #28

I see the Hi-ace for sale along with the Delica all the time on the Portland Craigslist. Take a look there if you're still interested. In fact, I'm almost certain there was a Hi-ace diesel with camper conversion for sale there last weekend.

There's been a slightly older Chevy SMB on here that has the short body and looks super clean....this one http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ale-21093.html Solid front axles I think and 5.7 gas v8. Should be pretty reliable and servicable.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote