Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #1

UJOR 4x4 - Clunking Noise in 4-Lo - Truetrac?

Hello everyone,

Recently had the opportunity to test the van in some slightly challenging conditions. I noticed a pretty solid "thunk" or "clunk" noise every once in a while. I think it occurred in situations where the opposing corner wheels (ex: front left/rear right) had less traction. Couldn't say for certain where it was coming from, but I'm wondering if it was the Truetrac on the front axle engaging/disengaging. After reading this thread, it seems like the Truetrac should NOT be making this kind of noise, at least when being driven on pavement. Seems like most of the discussion in the linked thread is pertaining to a Truetrac installed on the rear axle.

Since mine is on the front axle, it almost never sees use unless it's offroad or in snow. Should it really be a silent operation, or is some amount of clunking normal/acceptable?

My plan is to verify the noise is coming from the Truetrac is to lock the front hubs, but keep the T-case in 2WD. Then I will take it to a parking lot and perform some tight turns. Before I do that, I was hoping to figure out exactly what I should be listening/looking for.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #2

I have trutracs front and rear, and they both clunk, bang and grab when under heavy load when in 4wd. If Unlocking the hubs stops the noise, that should confirm it’s the Trutrac.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:29 PM   #3

I've never noticed any noise from my TrueTrac in the front, but I can certainly notice them doing what they are supposed to do.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:38 PM   #4

Update: just took the van to an empty parking lot, locked the front hubs, kept the t-case in 2wd, and did some tight full-lock turns. Turning right there was a slight shudder, but no banging or clunking in either direction. Unlocking the hubs eliminated the shudder.

I was not able to reproduce the loud clunking I experienced on the trail. I wonder if that was due to the high rate of acceleration of a single wheel due to loss of traction, and the Truetrac engaging suddenly. I can imagine that the scenario of turning on pavement does not produce the same sudden wheel speed difference.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote