Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Warn Powerplant on an 08 SMB?

Does anyone know if I can add a Warn PowerPlant to our 08 Aluminess bumper? I want to get a winch and on-board compressor in one shot. Any suggestions? Thanks

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Nope, it doesn't fit.
Check out this thread.
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... powerplant
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

Warn Power Plant

Surfgeek ,
Charlie56 is correct with regard to fit and I have found mine to be nothing more than an air dam posing as a combination Winch/Compressor unit . The Winch has worked great but the compressor without an auxiliary air tank is absolutely second rate , I wish that I had listened to Jonathan Feld better at the time of order .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #4

This is the first thing I've disagreeded with Greggde on, but I really love my PowerPlant. The compressor is the best I've ever had and that includes the extreme air and a couple of others. I agree it sticks above the bumper and is in front of the radiator, but I did a check on water temps with and without the PowerPlant installed and only found a one degree difference. Not worth mentioning.
I don't know if it will fit on an '08 bumper, but Aluminess sure could tell you and you can get the winch dimensions off of the Warn site and check for yourself.
Bottom line is, I'm not giving up my PowerPlant!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:51 PM   #5

I believe the word is that it hits the grille. I'm sure a sawzall would fix the problem, but you should probably take the grille off the SMB before attempting to cut. The powerplant dimensions are posted, but not the Aluminess 08 nor the van, so who knows how accurate the word is.

I'd contact Dave at Aluminess directly. I'm sure a few people would like the hear an official answer on this, and a solution if Aluminess has come up with one.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #6

Warn Power Plant

Scatter ,
Shame , Shame , on you for disagreeing with me ! My reasons for the overall dissatisfaction is the inability to run any of the four Impact Wrench's that I have tried to use on this unit and the fact that it takes an inordinate length of time to air my tires back up to road safe levels . I guess in my Old Age I have become impatient ! As I said the winch works wonderfully and I in fact used yesterday to assist an a family with a H-2 get out of a predicament in an off camber snow covered road bank up in Lytle Creek , thank goodness for good Gloves . The really GOOD NEWS Is SCATTER is that after the Clutch Fan replacement by FORD I am no longer experiencing the heat and the run away Fan activation that we have discussed . As far as Impact Wrench's the Boy's at Walker Evans convinced me to go with 18 Volt Snap On and or the De Walt rechargeable's and they are great . Sorry for my dissatisfaction with this product but I have had numerous 12 volt compressor's that would always manage to break my Lug Nuts loose .
Greggde
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I'd contact Dave at Aluminess directly. I'm sure a few people would like the hear an official answer on this, and a solution if Aluminess has come up with one.
Left Dave with Aluminess a message today. I let you guys know the Official word once I hear back from him.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #8

My PowerPlant came with an impact wrench. I've only used it once, just to see if it would work on the lugs, and it did. I don't carry it with me cause I refuse to have flats that I can't fix with my plug kit. I'm in Baja now and don't have the wrench with me or I'd get you a manufacture. I fill my 315 tires from 22 to 50 psi in about four minutes each. Maybe it's not the best out there, but sure beats anything I've had before.
But maybe this is one of those cases where one spends too much money for something and then refuses to see any bad in it....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #9

Powerplant Winch

Scatter ,
Mine didn't come with a Wrench, and the wrench's that I own and use are all high end wrench's from Matco , Snap On , Sears and Ingarsol
Rand and I believe are designed to operate at 90 psi . I have had another person tell me that his works fine as well . I contacted Warn on two different occasions and was basically BLOWN OFF with regard to it's use , suggestion's such as maybe you should get one of our auxiliary tank's or maybe your you have torqued your nut's to tight !
At any rate I now carry one of the 18 volt Wrench's . As an after thought maybe at 64 I don't need my Nut's So Tight . Enjoy your beautiful surroundings my Friend .
Greggde
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #10

Just spoke to Dave, and he confirmed that there is no way to mount a Warn Powerplant on the 08 bumpers, due to the 08 grille.