Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #11

My experience has been either open both ends, locker both ends, or limited slip only in the rear (which I've never known to make any difference) so I can't say from experience.

I think the kind of terrain you're on has a lot to do with this, the guys who climb slick rock in Moab might have an opinion.

The one thing I do know is that when you spin a tire with a locker engaged both tires let loose, so that end of the vehicle has no lateral traction. It is disconcerting to have the vehicle walking sideways on a hill while the tires spin. In the case where I had to choose whether the front swung over or the rear do whatever, I think I would choose the rear.

It's the same on the snow- rear locker and your rear end will lose lateral traction on ice/snow and tend to swing around. Front locker and you will lose all steering AND lateral traction in the front.

So in essence I don't have any reason to believe that a rear locker is betterer and should be first, and usually as far as the Jeep world goes comes as much because the rear axle is usually upgraded first over the front axle as opposed to any real perceived benefit... plus everyone else is doing it that way.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #12

Angel, once again, everyone has an opinion on tire size and axle ratios. I have the 4.10s with 35" tires. I'm turning 2,000 RPM at 65-70 mph and that's right where I want it for torque and horsepower. On a long highway trip at 65 mph I get 17 miles/gal. Lots of torque and power at low speeds and I've crawled over awsome rocks and very steep hills. If you're going with 37" tires, I'd go with the 4.56 ratio. In talking with Ford, they put the 4.10s in the van with the 245 tires for what most folks buy the rig for. Local haul and work rig. Lots of weight with stop and go around town usage. Not really for long haul use.
I wouldn't change a thing on my rig. Just what works for me.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
Thank you for all the info. Keep it coming.

RE: Tires: I better decide on my tire size before I go to SK because the gear ratio will have to be changed to match any tire bigger than 31.5. I like the tire size calculator the forum listed. My SMB has the 4.10 with limited slip and 245/75/16 tires (30.5) but they must be for a 3.75 axle because SK est is to use 245/75/17 tires (31.5) on the 4.10 axle.

I have a tall SMB which I think needs the 2ed # to be maybe 70 instead of 75. I should get mim of 33's and stick to 17".

Am I on the right track about tires or am I over thinking this?

Angel
Why do you feel you have to change gearing for taller tires?

We have 33" tires and stock 4.10 gearing. 60mph is 2000 rpm. I don't think you need to change gearing for a small change in tire size. You may have a problem with the speedo reading correctly, but no problem with the van pulling the larger tires.

I had my speedo recalibrated (by SMB West) for the larger tires. You should ask if they can do the same for you - certainly cheaper than regearing.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:13 PM   #14

Thanks, Mike, for clearing this up for me about the gear changing and tire size. I was trying to understand it and that seemed like what people did--matched gears to tires. I think what you are saying is that I only have to worry about it with an extreme tire size change or for extreme usage of the SMB, either of which does not apply to me.

No problem if my speedo MPH is not correct. I can recalculate that out in my head.When it shows total miles driven as less than actual, is that not a good thing?

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
I think the kind of terrain you're on has a lot to do with this, the guys who climb slick rock in Moab might have an opinion.

The one thing I do know is that when you spin a tire with a locker engaged both tires let loose, so that end of the vehicle has no lateral traction. It is disconcerting to have the vehicle walking sideways on a hill while the tires spin. In the case where I had to choose whether the front swung over or the rear do whatever, I think I would choose the rear.
I posed that same question to SMB during my order. I was planning on lockers front and rear (still might) and was told that due to the heavy weight, up front lateral traction is way more minimal of a problem compared to standard vehicles provided the front can be locked. I have found this to be true on certain terrain (loose gravel, sand and shale). What I can't verify is if I had a rear locker and it was locked up, would the van have enough traction to keep the front from spinning which has pulled me sideways? SMB did suggest front first and rear if needed. To save money I choose to wait on the rear. Maybe someday? I would like to hear from others with front and rear lockers....maybe another thread?
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #16

Thank you for all your input and the web sites to check re: TrueTrac differentials and all the other type of differentials. I learned about clutch type and gear type and learned that Fords Limited slip is a clutch type. I looked into everything you talked about and thought about where I am going and where I am not going with my $$$$ SMB. I considered air lockers. The 46 gal fuel tank will remain.

Here is what I am going to get from Salem Kroger for my 4X4 conversion in addition to his standard conversion per Craig at S. K. recommendation and what I want:
Toyo Open Country A/T tires, LT285/70R17E (32.7" X 11.2" wide) 3750# load rated @80 PSI mounted on 17X9 ProComp style # 7189 wheels.
TrueTrac gear drive differentials and 4.3 gear ratio installed on front and rear axles
front and rear Bushwacker fender flares, includes altering rear of front wheel well.
Kevlar bead locks for all tires

Let me know if you think I am missing something.

Angel
Old 10-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #17

I can't remember what size fuel tank you have. Craig did the 46 gal TransFlo tank for me. He would have to cut down the existing tank to about 29 to 30 gallons for the 4x4 conversion. Also, I did the same tires, but in the 285 75 R 17. This would give you almost 34" OD. Many can't decide whether to go 33" or 35" and this solves the problem because it is right in the middle. Looks great also. As I said in my earlier post on this thread that Craig re-geared to 4.56 which with this tire size brought it right back to the original 4.10. Tell Craig that Eric in Tahoe says hello and that the van has been great. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #18

Jage mention in a reply about getting a compressor “something better than SMB offers”. Now that you settled on the Toyo 80psi tires I would agree with him. I have the BFG’s that only have 50 psi in them with the SMB standard Extreme Air Compressor. I find it’s adequate, but would suggest for your higher pressure tires to at least bump up to the Extreme Air Magnum Compressor. SMB does offer it as an option. I remember airing up in Death Valley, 35 degrees, sleet, wind blowing 40 mph and spending 20 minutes outside freesing my butt off. Ahh for a little more power. Don't forget the deflator and fill gauge.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #19

After spending some time in the desert on the back roads, I decided that I want to run with the big boys which means getting a full float rear axle and ARB rear lockers. Still getting tru-trac limited slip gear drive differential in the front. I want to see how I like them for slippery snow conditions. If I do not like them, I will get front lockers. I know, the really big boys have lockers in front also.

I will take the necessary classes to learn how to drive it. Instead of getting a SMB I know how to drive, I am getting one that I will learn how to drive. Bill Burke's class has been recommended on the forum. Does anyone know anything about www.4X4training.com by Badlands off road Adventures? ( or should I ask that on another thread?)

I am so glad for this great forum. Jage, you were right, why compromise.

Angel
Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Haven't heard of that training class, but that hardly means anything. Regardless of who you go with, make sure the trip is suitable for a full size rig if you're going with your SMB. Of the training I've done with Bill Burke, only a few of the trails would accommodate a full size rig.

Herb