Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #21

Got the van back from the shop last Friday and drove it a little over the weekend without an alignment, and things seemed much better already. They ended up modifying the install a little, since my arms were flipped upside down (which does get the caster closer).

Got some time on the alignment rack with my tire shop yesterday, and only drove it home a short distance. The real road test will be today.

Here's a picture post alignment with 2.8 degrees of caster. Plenty more to go on those cams, but those folks though that that was about what I would like (they do know me):

I almost certainly still need shocks. I had barely started that conversation with Ramsey (RIP). Will call Agile after some of my own work insanity dies down.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #22

After much unrelated air travel and no time with the van, I spoke with John at Agile yesterday, about getting replacement shocks (which I do still need).

He had me check the shackles on the rear suspension, and sure enough, the bushings on the one on the drivers side are bad enough that it's binding:

I'd be willing to be that that's what was kicking when cornering, and then the bad caster resulted in really ugly behavior. Going to get those swapped as soon as someone can get me in next week.

Then shocks...

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #23

I sourced new (ford) shackles and had them installed today. Wow! That's what I was looking to fix.

Major props to John at Agile for suggesting I check the shackle bushings!!

Proper caster doesn't hurt either. I don't think the van has ever driven this well while I had it, and it's even still a bit bouncy.

I need to try moving the back shocks down, and think about how I would feel about a less stiff spring in back, now that I don't just want to do whatever I can to nail that axle in place anymore. Then shocks.