Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2024, 08:45 AM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
I had a helpful phone chat with Chris at UJoint. I am feeling good about the idea of finding a nice 2WD van and having them UJoint it. Some tidbits of our conversation:
  • Chris can work with me if I need to deliver to him and store the van well ahead of time because UJoint has a multi-month work backlog.
  • UJoint's Colorado franchise has a shorter backlog than North Carolina.
  • For a custom gas tank, Chris recommends Hanco in Colorado. (Hanco quoted me $2800 for a 40-gallon gasoline tank.)
  • 6" UJoint lift will give 4 to 5 inches of level-axle up-travel. (My Sportsmobile 4" lift has only 1" up-travel.)
That seems like the best plan. New and updated.

Old 07-04-2024, 12:11 PM   #42

The need to shorten stock tanks when adding a transfer case is due to most conversions adding an adapter at the end of the transmission to bolt the transfer case to. Rather than adding a spacer, many transmissions can be converted to a 4wd output shaft. This eliminates the longer spacer, but requires the transmission to be removed and disassembled to install the shaft, all of which is more expensive than simply bolting on a long spacer. This is how Ramsey did his TTB conversions when Agile still did them.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:52 PM   #43

Garage
Geoff, I feel your pain. You might recognize me as a longtime member here since 2007 when I bought my SMB 4x4 from Fresno. What a fabulous vehicle. But, it got old (like me), and needed a whole lotta expensive work every year. I used it extensively off road to get to remote camp areas. It met all my needs. So, after 15 years of ownership, I determined that I needed a more 'reliable' rig, to get home from these places, and I wanted modern systems. I was so ready to buy a new unit from Field and perhaps make it a 'classic' E series. I even placed a deposit. But I opted for the MBZ platform and was willing to give up a little off road capability for creature comforts. I found a local van and had it built out by CampoVans here in SB, CA. Total custom build that I designed that Field couldn't touch, and based on my long experience with the SMB. And I discovered that the Sprinter 4x4 is pretty capable. In fact, Agile is offering an Atlas II transfer case replacement for the sprinter to make it even more like the SMB's capability. I love the modern Victron electrics and more battery power and larger fridge. Just driving the MBZ platform is sooo nicer. I said goodbye to my SMB as the happy new owner drove it off.. I love my new Sprinter! I have a 47 gallon tank in it. Think about it.
Attached Thumbnails
ahillssprinter2.jpeg   ahillssprinter3.jpeg   van-interior12.jpeg  
Old 07-06-2024, 08:51 AM   #44

I don't think so.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote