Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #11

Re: Who ya gonna call when your 4X4 SMB is no longer mobile?

Our solution (since we often are out alone) is to carry enough tools and know-how to diagnose a problem, some parts, and a small dirt-bike to run to a town for other parts if necessary. We also carry satellite internet connectivity, which can be used to make phone calls.

The only major break-down we have had (sudden engine failure-to-run) was while we were on a county dirt road. Although the tow was expensive, it was still under warranty, and clearly fell to Ford to deal with it (although they were very non-committal till the problem was diagnosed).

I've been trying to put together a list of the tools we do carry on our web-site here. The list is constantly evolving, but has been sufficient for broken hubs, spring replacement, roof lift mechanism fixes, etc.

For parts we carry spare belt, few gallons of oil, transmission fluid, ps fluid, brake fluid (incase we get a leak in one of those systems), a few pounds of spare bolts & nuts, etc.

Also the service manual can be invaluable, they are expensive, but so very worth it when you need it.

-e

Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Re: Who ya gonna call when your 4X4 SMB is no longer mobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellularSTEVE
Personally I like to rely on daveb.

Thanks daveb and don.

Last Chance Canyon in January:

Whenever possible it really pays off traveling with others.

steve
BTW,
How did you manage that? Turing around? Looks like a tight spot for sure. I'm not busting your chops, I recently got stuck in a campground.
Yeah Steve, where's the trip report on that? It looks like you're more or less at a right angle to the roadway. Inquiring minds want to know.

Herb
Anybody that says a hi-lift jack is useless on a SMB is wrong. Although it's hard to see, Steves spotter ran him right up on a boulder. His vehicles rear end is basically off the ground in those pics. He is working on the trip report for the forum and I will also have one at my web site http://autoramblings.com/sportsmobile/ soon.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote