Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
......The Powerplant can only be mounted feet down, so the bolts are in shear.........

Why exactly is this the case for your winch? Would the base plate interfere?

Mine is mounted feet forward so it would have to pull through a hole smaller than it's footprint.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200404_175431_080.jpg  

skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Why exactly is this the case for your winch? Would the base plate interfere?
The Powerplant is an oddball--a 12k winch with an air compressor on top, making it over 13" tall. But the real reason is that the instructions state "This winch is designed for feet down mounting only."
Old 10-29-2020, 07:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Synthetic rope vs steel rope: Which one is best?
Written: November 18, 2011
by Andy Lilienthal

As you may have heard, Warn Industries now offer six winches with our Spydura synthetic rope. Those winches are the VR8000-s, VR10000-s, M8000-s, 9.5xp-s, 9.5cti-s, and the 9.0Rc.

A lot of people have asked questions about our rope and our opinion of synthetic vs. steel rope, so here is some information.

WARN Spydura synthetic rope is made from an ultra high molecular polyethylene material. It receives a coat of black urethane that helps protect the rope from the affects of ultra-violet rays and chemicals as two enemies of synthetic rope. The rope also includes a sliding sleeve to help protect it from wear and abrasion while winching. All WARN truck/SUV winches equipped with Spydura rope should be used with our polished aluminum hawse fairlead, too.

The synthetic vs. steel debate has heated up recently, as synthetic rope becomes more mainstream. Here's our take on it.

Spydura synthetic rope is a great product for many vehicle recovery situations. If you winch a lot and are concerned about weight, synthetic can be a great option since it is lightweight and easy to handle. It doesn't develop sharp burrs like steel rope, and doesn't store as much potential energy when under load. On the flip side, synthetic rope is more prone to abrasion, and should be regularly inspected for frays or other damage caused by UV, chemicals, and overall use. And when using synthetic, you always want to lay down the abrasion sleeve when needed to guard against rope damage.

Steel rope is extremely durable, and is good for both vehicle recovery and utility work, such as moving trees, rocks, etc., since it resists abrasion very well. Ultra-violet wear is also not a factor with steel rope, and it may be a better choice for you if you don't frequently use your winch. Steel rope is heavier than synthetic, can develop rust, and can also develop sharp burrs. This is one reason why we always recommend users always wear heavy gloves to protect their hands while handling the rope.

Some people immediately think synthetic rope is safer than steel rope. Although steel rope will store more potential energy, since it's made out of steel, it is less prone to abrasion (and possible fraying). The bottom line is that no matter which line you choose, you need to follow safe winching techniques and take all necessary safety precautions. In fact, you can download Warn Industries' The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques to brush up or learn more about how to use your winch and practice safe winching.

https://jeepequipment.com/12000-lb-winches/
A common rule of thumb is to simply double the weight of your vehicle. Midsize pickups like a Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier can use a 9,000- to 9,500-pound-capacity winch. Full-size trucks like a Ford F-150 or Chevy 1500 require at least a 12,000- or 12,500-pound-capacity winch.
Robertcladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I'll be using class 10.9 bolts (equivalent of Grade 8 in metric) to mount the bumper for sure, but I was surprised that Warn's user manual specifies Grade 5 bolts (not included) for mounting the winch. The Powerplant can only be mounted feet down, so the bolts are in shear. Personally I'll use Grade 8 though.

I think I'll stick with the 4-bolt bumper mounting points. Bolts are stronger in tension than shear anyhow, so unless the welded mounting plates are a weak point the only "benefit" of mounting to the frame somehow would be if I were to defeat the convoluted section. Since no one is screaming that this is necessary, I'll call it good enough. Thanks for the input!
Bolts are only in shear if the massive preload of the two surfaces is lost and the part slips, bearing up against the bolt. If you don’t torque your bolts properly this could be a problem, but generally preloads are in the 1000s to 10s of 1000s of pounds.
WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote