Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

Wont stay in 4wd compound low while climbing

I have a problem with my 03 E-350 4wd Quigley conversion.

When I shift to 4wd compound low it will not stay engaged while climbing.

The transfer case shift lever would slam out of gear (from 4wd low to neutral with a "slam" while climbing with acceleration) I could hold the transfer case shift lever to the rear and it would not go out of gear.

It DID stay engaged while descending in 4wd low.

Im hoping it is something easy like transfer case shifter linkage.

Anybody got any ideas?

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #2

Re: Wont stay in 4wd compound low while climbing

Really sounds like linkage adjustment. Pretty simple fix. What transfer case do you have?

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

PO of my van had this issue and Quigley fixed it by a linkage adjustment and moving some bracket out of the way. I don't know which bracket.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
What transfer case do you have?
Thanks, Scatter Ive got a Borg-Warner 1756000007 Model 1356 transfer case.
(PS- going to Gonzaga for 11 days at the end of Nov, the pavement is now within 10 miles!)

ANZAC- verryyyy interesting!
When I spoke with Quigley they mentioned that "when I figure out what is wrong" they have a new transfer case or "possible linkage parts" they could send me.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

If it jumps out of gear, but you can hold it in gear, it sounds like it is not fully engaged. Maybe the linkage is hitting something and stopping before 4wd is fully locked in at the transfercase.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
Quote:
What transfer case do you have?
Thanks, Scatter Ive got a Borg-Warner 1756000007 Model 1356 transfer case.
(PS- going to Gonzaga for 11 days at the end of Nov, the pavement is now within 10 miles!)
You should be able to crawl under and have someone shift it back and forth in and out of low range and see what moves under there. I agree with Mike, it's probably not getting all the way in. I would think that you will see something in the linkage that is hitting something. Maybe just an adjustment or you might have to cut/grind something out of the way. I'd get on it pretty quick, as you can bust off some teeth when it pops out under load.

But then again, with the "road" being paved, why don't you drive a smart car down and save mucho on the fuel....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
But then again, with the "road" being paved, why don't you drive a smart car down and save mucho on the fuel....
Actually, the way I feel right now, with the road being paved the SMB IS a good choice.

And the Subaru gets a little small for 2 adults and 2 dogs when the wind blows for 11 days strait!

Thanks Scatter, Im gonna change the transfer case fluid to see if there are any gear teeth floating around, and see if I can find a linkage problem. It sounds like Quigley might already know of this and has a fix (hopefully).
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #8

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Sad to see the road getting closer every time I go down there - will be to Coco's before too long and then on to Hwy 1. Then the truckers will take over and nothing will be the same.

There is most likely nothing wrong with the Transfer Case - the BW1356 is a very reliable case. The issue has always turned out to be related to the shifter and linkage hitting the something (body hole) that does not allow full engagement or hits under torque twist of the drive train. The most common reason for this problem is worn or broken motor mounts, including the rear mount. It allows too much movement of the drive train under load in the torque direction - this is why it does not do it on decents.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

I had the same problem with my 1999 van converted by Advanced. I checked the
linkage and trimmed the hole in the floor to make sure the shift lever wasn't hitting
the floor and knocking it out of gear. I also have the Borg Warner 1356. I went so
far as to take the transfer case out and have it looked at. My mechanic said it looked
good inside and put new seals in it and put it back together. The way I solved it was by
getting on older shift lever from a late 80's Ford pickup. They have a plate that bolts in
between the shift pivot and the transmission that has a notched grove in it. You have
to push the lever towards the drivers seat as you pull it back. When it's back all the way
in 4x4 low the notched grove keeps the lever from slamming forward. It seemed to have
solved the problem.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote