Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

2006 SMB reconfiguration, etc

New to me 2006 SMB. came from my parents. has 41k on it. they had it configured for one single individual to sleep and that's it. we have a family of 4 so i need to change some things around. i was trying to find a list of the original floor plans SMB offered but not having much luck.

few other questions-

1) it has a diesel genset behind the rear diff. runs fine, but its loud and shakes the floor. is this normal?

2) there is a couch behind the driver's seat but it only has a bottom cushion. the back is just 3 pillows. can this be made to fold out into a bed? it seems like it should. water tank and electronics are underneath it.

attached are some pics of what i've got to work with. too much storage, not enough sleeping area. appreciate any advice as i don't really want to gut the whole thing and start from scratch. the dog crates in the picture are going away today.

thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
20191104_070139.jpg   20191104_070128.jpg   20191104_070034.jpg   20191104_070043.jpg  

Ndamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

It would be really easy to replace the couch with a bed that folds down. It's likely a standard length. That said, you should really approach this from the outset as a full rebuild. You need to decide what you require and where it will fit. The layout you have will be very tricky to fit sleeping for 4. Also, depending on the age of your kids, you will need more seating as well, maybe even forward facing seats.

My recommendation would be to put at least one captains chair where the crates are then take out all the cabinets (bathroom?) on the drivers side and add bunk beds back there for the kids. Then you can replace the couch with a gaucho for you and your spouse. That will keep you from having to tear out the kitchen and its plumbing.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:43 PM   #3

Garage
^^^^^^ good idea ^^^^^^

Another option could be (as Grampswrx mentions) to convert the couch to a gaucho, put a 3rd seat where the crates are, but then consider running a board w/pad on the top of the 3rd chair to the passenger seat (if the base allows it to swivel) for bed #3. The last bed could be a simple blow-up mattress in the aisle towards the back. This way you retain the storage space.
*** or buy them a tent!
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #4

If it wouldn’t offend your parents, I’d suggest selling this van and using the proceeds to fund a van that will require less reconfiguring. I assume it’s set up for dog-show travel, based on the crates inside. There should be a good market among that crowd for a van already set up that way.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote