Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #1

2016 144 4x4 Horn Upgrade

This has been discussed several time and I would like to thank Fritz for the research on the PIAA Horns available on Amazon.

Last year Fritz and I discussed the upgrade he did and I ordered the horns. Today I actually got around to installing the horns. I was able to install the horns with no modification to the horns mounting brackets or adding any additional brackets. Here are some pics showing the mounting and additional location for the second horn. It's pretty straight forward.

The stock wiring is two wire. The horns worked best by crimping two wires together with a 1/8 male spade and inserting it into the stock plug with the female pin in the plug. Run one wire to each horn. One horn mounted to the stock location of the factory horn, the other horn is mounted to the right outside of the stock location. Make a mounting hole in the plastic and make sure to use flat washer and lock washer to secure and support the plastic. Sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails
20210505_170948.jpg   20210505_171012.jpg  

Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #2

Nice! Certainly a worthwhile upgrade. I upgraded the factory pathetic horn with nearly the same PIAA dual air horn set up. Reviewed in this video about the hidden winch bumper between the 4th and 5th minute.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:59 AM   #3

I watched the video you shared, I have the same front bumper but have not invested in a winch as yet. I saw the horns, they look to be the same with the same sound. I did add the 2" receiver for accessories like a bike rack, fishing gear or just a basket for carrying firewood. I also have an adapter for a snatch point on the front. Thanks for sharing the video.
Sloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing and you're welcome. I noticed that these PIAA dual horns have many tones available to help choose the sound that you want. Changing the horns and adding the hidden winch just for the front recovery points and in your case also added carrying capacity with the front hitch are big improvements.
Owned a 2007 Sprinter poptop and now For Sale 2016 170" 4x4 overlander with durable cabinets, hot water with collapsible shower, sink, toilet, air compressors, electrically raising queen bed, four+ bike garage, rotating two person passenger bench, suspension, rack, skid plates, lights & more. Build out videos at www.vantripping.com and https://www.youtube.com/@vantripping
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:17 PM   #5

Garage
Have had my PIAA horns about two years now - Great product! I'm not embarrassed to use them, unlike the OEM's.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:21 AM   #6

Hey, that's awesome to hear about your experience with the PIAA Horns! It's always cool when upgrades go smoothly without requiring much modification.
Lolafant is offline   Reply With Quote